Thursday, November 22, 2007

Trottin' for Turkey

Mom and I ran the Turkey Trot 3 mile this morning. It was my very first event and I finished it in 43 minutes!! Hooray!!

It was such a great way to begin my day. I also got a really sweet email from my soldier wishing me luck. I'm at my sister's house right now and we're about to sit down to an enormous amount of food.

I realized last night that last Thanksgiving, my soldier was in Iraq. The Thanksgiving before that also. And he'll be there next Thanksgiving as well.

I cannot say enough about what a hero he is to me. I feel bad, definitely, that he is unable to be at home with his family. And then my ex pointed it out to me - serving your country is voluntary. He is choosing to do this. He has just a few more years left before retirement. Yes, it is not where he'd rather be but it is his choice. And as his friend, I will stand by him. I can only strive to do my best through this and I guess we'll see what happens.

As A Course in Miracles says and I'm paraphrasing, love him anyway. I need to stop depending on his correspondence, of course, and go back to where I was before he left for that "sandbox" as he calls it. I guess it will just take some time.

So, on this Thanksgiving day, it is with much gratitude that I say, Thank you baby. I am so very proud of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!