Wednesday, December 26, 2007

Help our soldiers

I just added a link to a website called This is for the Soldiers. I stumbled upon it when I found the "I like a boy" video (so silly and fun!).

I added the link because that website supports a bill to bring better assistance for mental health for our soldiers. This is something very dear to me because I know for a fact that my soldier is still suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. He had only been back home for 10 months when he had to return for another tour. He has also served 9 other deployments to Kuwait, Afganistan and others. He was dealing with the PTSD all of last year and very angry that he had to return to Iraq, yet again.

I am very angry after looking at PTSD statistics that state that a soldier dealing with PTSD is more likely to commit suicide. (Read this article.) So then they send him back? Are our soldiers that expendable?

He was told his tour in 05-06 would be his last and he was prepared to move into another position for his last few years before retirement. He was actually quite surprised to be told that he was required to go back.

I can hear the depression in his voice when we talk on the phone. Especially during the holidays. He is practicing the detachment skills he's learned thus far so I know that is helping. Still I can't help but wonder what he's going to be like when he returns. I remember the tears he shed as he told me that I might not love the guy who comes back from that war.

I only hope that my love and support give him some comfort. I can only hope that if I could hold him and let him be or talk or whatever he needs to do when he returns...will help in some way. I also pray that I have the strength he needs and I need to get through his deployment and return.

Please consider signing the petition to support our troops' mental health. If you prefer to do something a little less political, visit this website for a list of charities that help support our soldiers.

Whether you support the war or not, please send 'em some love!

1 comment:

  1. My brother-in-law got back a year ago from his year-long tour and I worry it has affected him in ways we'll never know about because he keeps it quiet to himself.

    Thanks for the link. I'll send it to my sis.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!