Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Aren't you glad you have bacon?

I received the monthly 'family & friends' update email from my soldier yesterday. I love these messages because he goes more into depth of what happens there. He doesn't say anything much at all about daily life when we're on the phone. He'd rather focus on lighter topics and hear about the daily life of T and my little girls.

Apparently, the sandbox isn't hitting the high temperatures it normally hits. There have been a lot of sandstorms lately and when that happens, the sun is blocked and the temperature barely reaches 90 degrees. He said he's looking forward to the 120 + degree days of summer because that means he's on the downhill slide of his 15 month deployment. Man, I thought it was hot in Texas!

They have received the new Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles. These new vehicles will replace the Humvees that the soldiers currently patrol in. These new MRAPs are supposed to be better at protecting our soldiers from IED attacks. These roadside bombs have killed way too many of our troops thus far so its good to see our taxes paying for something to keep our guys safe. They are about twice the size of a Humvee. These things are huge!! Its about time our soldiers have something stronger and more fortified for patrolling the areas they are trying to keep safe.

I had to laugh because he actually kept track of the dinners they offered the soldiers at his base camp. He said since he is at a smaller camp than he was last year, they only get one choice for dinner.... and it seems like they repeat the same meals over and over.

I thought you guys would get a giggle out of this like I did:
11 April – beef, mashed potatoes, carrots
12 April – chicken, mashed potatoes, corn
13 April – spaghetti and meatballs
14 April – I ate with (my Iraqi counterpart) at the Iraqi chow hall – kabob, beans, pita bread, banana
15 April – chicken (didn’t look good so I didn’t eat it), mashed potatoes, corn
16 April – meatloaf, mashed potatoes, corn
17 April – chicken, pasta in alfredo sauce, broccoli
18 April – beef, mashed potatoes, green beans
19 April – spaghetti and meatballs
20 April – hot dogs, fried potato wedges, fried jalapenos
21 April – beef, macaroni and cheese, carrots
22 April – meatloaf, potatoes au gratin, carrots
23 April – beef, macaroni and cheese, peas and carrots
24 April – beef, rice, peppers, pineapple
25 April – beef, rice, peas
26 April – calzone, fried potato wedges, fried cheese-sticks
27 April – cheeseburger, fried potato wedges, baked beans
28 April – beef and bean chili, rice, peas
29 April – lasagna
30 April – beef, macaroni and cheese, corn
1 May – cheeseburger, macaroni salad, tomatoes and cucumbers
2 May – beef, mashed potatoes, green beans
3 May – I ate at another camp – tortellini
4 May – chili dogs, fried potato wedges, baked beans
5 May – beef, rice, cucumber salad
6 May – lasagna
7 May – beef, macaroni and cheese, corn
8 May – fried chicken, mashed potatoes, green beans
9 May – I ate at another camp – turkey sandwich
10 May – chicken, macaroni and cheese, green beans
11 May – cheeseburger, fried potato wedges, baked beans
I guess they're trying to make it seem like good ole fashioned American food. It sounds much like what you'd see at Luby's Cafeteria or something.

Still, I feel for the poor guy. He doesn't really eat red meat and he loves fresh fish. They are also not allowed any pork or pork by-products there. I thought about this last night as I cooked pork chops for dinner. What about bacon?! How can anyone go for that long without bacon??!!

2 comments:

  1. T- you kill me, I'm like okay, how do you go from the MRAP to bacon in the same post, but you did it....and yeah, I'd miss bacon, not that I cook it all the time, but I'd miss it.

    I am guilty of sending stuff that may or may not have had pork products in it.....from gift baskets that I ordered, it said it was okay to send to APO's and it had smoked sausage in it....last I checked that was pork, so I guess I violated Customs regs.....oh well, come hunt me down :D

    Gotta love Hickory Farms LOL

    ~ASW

    ReplyDelete
  2. HA this post is funny because I have video of Adam that he sent back of him eating a to-go lunch that consisted of a fried chicken sandwich, chicken nuggets and french fries.

    Adam says that some times it seems like they cook and serve whatever made it on the truck, even if it doesn't go together at all.

    Anyways glad you get updates!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!