Tuesday, November 25, 2008

We really don't have it SO bad, do we?


I have plenty to be thankful for this holiday season.

Last year around the holidays, I was 'walking in the dark forest' on my quest.... so lost and out of sorts after losing my father, falling in love and then losing my love to war. Not to mention feeling stuck in the limbo of trying to sell my home and complete my divorce.

I want to take a moment to copy some things that Soldier mentioned in his Family and Friends email from last week. This is the third Thanksgiving in a row he will spend in the Middle East, away from family and friends. He said Thanksgiving in Iraq is much like any other day. Nothing will define that day except perhaps the dinner will be a little different...

"Thanksgiving is a time to reflect on what we have to be thankful for in America, especially compared to what is lacking in many places in the rest of the world. Below are a few things I suspect many Americans take for granted that do not exist for the 22 million inhabitants of Iraq nor many other countries in the world. Some things for which Americans should be thankful:

  • Electricity and running water 24 hours a day, 7 Days a week.
  • Air conditioning in the summer and heating in the winter.
  • 94 percent employment.
  • Grocery stores in every neighborhood, fully stocked with high quality produce and meat.
  • Being able to drive from one end of the country to the other without having to go through military checkpoints or be concerned about road side bombs.
  • Clean and safe shelter.
  • Thousands of restaurants with varying cuisine from around the world.
  • Ambulances, the fire department and police officers actually responding to calls in a timely manner.
  • 70% home ownership.
  • Being able to practice your religion of choice without worrying about being killed for it.
During this Thanksgiving season, I think Americans need to thank God they were born in the United States of America."

I realize that many of my friends are disappointed in the outcome of Soldier's visit with me. I, too, am disappointed. However, I do still support our soldiers and I will still be sending love and prayers to him and others who will not be able to spend the holidays with their families.

Think about what you have to be grateful for this Thanksgiving. Wrap yourself up in the warmth and comfort of your home, family and good food.

Everyone should be so fortunate.

"If the only prayer you said in your whole life was 'thank you,' that would suffice.
~Meister Eckhart"

10 comments:

  1. What an awesome message from Soldier. Thanks for sharing that! And an awesome message from you as well... more thank-yous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good stuff, T. Good stuff. Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you T (and Mr Solider) - definately a little perspective and a reminder that our lives are pretty good!!

    Have a happy thanksgiving!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing that, T. Soldier is absolutely right in what he has written. Most of us live in a very sheltered world in comparison to the rest of the world. How important to remember that!

    I hope you have a relaxing Thanksgiving (after your Turkey Trot/5K!) filled with love and contentment. Maybe some mashed potatoes, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Living on the other side of the world thats seems a million mile away from us ,but on our back door we have similar problems and even though we don't celebrate thanksgiving we do so in the hope that all my American friends have a safe and happy holiday

    ReplyDelete
  6. That gratitude list is great! And I love the cornucopia picture. Quite bountiful, like our lives. Be well. Happy Thanksgiving.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Thanksgiving. Hope all is well.. and you enjoy the family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy Thanksgiving, T. May your day be filled with many blessings!

    Be well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks T. Happy Thanksgiving. I am thankful for meeting you, privileged to read your wise and insightful words and happy for a day with my family. May your day be filled with many blessings.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!