Friday, December 26, 2008

Christmas Tales

I woke up this morning and joined the kids in the playroom to watch Bugs Bunny cartoons. Now that's how to spend a morning! I always enjoyed my Saturday morning Warner Brothers' classics. The girls are enjoying them as much as I did. Thanks to Santa for the perfect gift for Mom and daughters to delight in together.

---

My girlfriend Gem couldn't make it home for Christmas this year. Her flight was canceled due to weather. Poor thing. She was pretty upset as this is her first holiday away from her family.

The ex had his family over for Christmas Eve and asked me to join. I invited Gem along too.

Santa made a visit!!!

A friend of my ex brother-in-law makes the perfect Santa and arranged where he could bring in the girls' presents from their dad. Presents delivered directly by Santa!!! They were thrilled!

I still enjoy time with the in-laws. They've accepted that the ex and I are divorced but I suppose they do still wish we'd get back together.

Gem even noted how well the ex and I get along. She's never really seen us together. He was drinking and he always gets sentimental about Christmas. We joke around a lot. He picks on me. I pick on him. We hug. We're attentive to each other. When she said something about it to the both of us, we hugged again and both said, "We still love each other."

"Yeah, we do," he continued, "But sometimes I want to do this..." and began playfully mock-punching me in the stomach.

When Gem and I left with the kids, he texted me and asked me to let him know that we'd made it home safe.

Yeah. He's a good guy. It really is too bad we can't live together.

---

I'd struggled on whether or not to send a Merry Christmas message to Soldier.

I finally gave in and sent an short email at approximately 12:08 a.m. Baghdad time Christmas Day.

Five minutes later I received his Family/Friends email where he admitted that many of the soldiers don't even want to know that its Christmas. They're all tired after 13 3/4 months of a 15 month deployment and don't want to be reminded that they're away from their families for Christmas.

Well, ok then.

Then yesterday, the front page cover story was about the soldiers who were deploying or returning to Iraq on Christmas.

*sigh*

Soldier also attached this commercial to his email. He said this is really what its like when the soldiers walk through the airport terminal upon their return from Iraq.



What a difference than what soldiers came home to 40 years ago, isn't it?

They're all just ready to come home. Keep 'em all in your prayers.

---

My brother couldn't make it in town for Christmas. He is helping a friend who is suffering from Lou Gehrig's disease. My brother volunteered for Christmas duty so that his other caretakers could be with their families. It is now a 24/7 job.

Every year, my mom takes a family photo of the three of us (me, brother and sister) in front of the Christmas tree on Christmas day. This year, since my brother couldn't make it, my mom insisted we do the "missing man formation."

My sister happened to have the items we needed for a wonderful Christmas family photo.


---

I've gone back online.

I thought I'd give online dating another go. I started with one dating site and grew frustrated with the men who weren't local or who smoked. I specifically said, "don't bother if you're not local." and "non-smokers only."

Do people even read the profiles?!

So I've moved on to another site where I'm getting some pretty promising matches. This time I've lowered my expectations from "true love" to "new friends". If anything becomes of it, so be it.

---

I've been very emotional the past couple of days. I had a good cry last night. I suppose either its the lowest part of my cycle or I just had to purge some stuff.

I'm feeling much better now.

10 comments:

  1. OMG I can't get over how your brother is a perfect combination of both you and your sister! He is HOT. Sweetie...I gotta ask. Is he single? *smile*

    I love your blog! I love your amazing and beautiful open, loving heart.

    xoxo
    ~vk~

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was thinking about you. Could you feel it?

    Reading about you and your ex got me all teary.

    That photo of you with your "brother" cracked me up!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good for you that you can hang with the ex's family. My ex-wife puts on a big xmas eve dinner every year, and I'm not invited. Her mom sent me a plate of food from the dinner. A nice gesture from a wonderful (former) mother-in-law.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a special brother you have. How awesome for him to do that for his friend. :) I, too, had tears this Christmas. Bleech. Sending you lots of happiness vibes. (((HUGS))) I also got you a funny birthday card but then couldn't find where I'd put the card with your address from when I mailed the book. Darn it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. merry Christmas t. Good luck on the dating web sites. If u find a good one let me know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are SOOO lucky to have that with your ex T!!! I would give anything to have HALF of that!!!!

    GOOD LUCK with the dating sites! I tried again recently and it was disastrous - I am clearly prone to STALKERS *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  7. Glad you had a great Christmas. My mom and dad were friends after they divorced. It took them a few years but it definitely made my childhood easier. My Mom and Step-dad helped my dad out a lot.

    I wish you loads of luck on finding what you are looking for.

    *hugs*

    Love the picture. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. T thanks for being so honest about your journey. It is also so very inspiring to read about your positive relationship with your ex and his family.

    Good luck with the online dating thing, too. At the very least, we'll have some funny stories to post...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to see how we treat our soldiers much better now. :)

    I came over from Sage's blog to wish you a Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  10. That video was beautiful. I'd by lying if I say I didn't just start crying right now and had to post a comment.

    My husband comes home for break in February and that I cannot waittttt for that moment!! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!