Monday, December 29, 2008

When I was 39, it was a very good year...

Thanks to all of you for the wonderful birthday wishes yesterday. Thanks especially to Sage who directed so many of you to my blog. Sage, you are a dreamy cowboy and I'm happy to know you!

So, yes, my age in years turned to 39 yesterday and so far, I'm thinking that life is going to keep getting better and better.

---

I started out the pre-birthday day with a lunch date.

A lunch date that lasted 12 hours!! I'll post more about him later, if anything becomes of it. I'm not sure he quite knows how to handle me - he seems extremely shy and I'm .... NOT.

After lunch, we decided to see a movie. During the movie, I invited him to join my family and friends out for my birthday dinner that night. He and I saw yet another movie after dinner, during which he was very affectionate. The ending of the date was a bit awkward but... well we'll see. He has followed through with texts and emails since our date. If anything, it was nice to receive some male attention.

---

Yesterday morning, any attempts to sleep in were thwarted by phone calls and text messages from friends and family with birthday wishes. I finally gave up, pulled my laptop into the bed with me and began reading the emailed birthday wishes.

I am very loved.

I sat there, huge smile on my face and my heart bursting from my chest when my phone rang yet again. This time it was a number I didn't recognize. I answered and, after a brief pause, heard a man say, "Happy birthday!"

I didn't recognize the voice and asked, "Who is this?"

After another pause, I heard Soldier laughing on the other end of the phone.

Wow. The man never ceases to surprise me. We did have a very pleasant 1/2 hour conversation. He does want to see me in the New Year but he never made any revelations about a relationship other than friendship. With the possibility of casual sex.

I would normally read between the lines and try to assume that a relationship is what he meant to say. Yesterday, I didn't do that.

He may not know what he wants. He may be too frightened to be in a relationship. He may not know what to say or do....

But I'm not going to do it for him anymore.

I was touched that he thought to call me on my birthday. I am touched that he wants to stay in my life, in whatever capacity. I felt happy to hear him give me the date of his return to the States.

All of it was good but something felt much better after I hung up. I can't explain it, really. It was just... better.

---

As mentioned by my friend Rachel, I will be leaving for San Francisco tomorrow!

I am so thrilled to finally be able to meet so many new bloggy friends. I look forward to ringing in the New Year with Jim and finally meeting David himself! I'm not sure how consistently I'll be blogging over the next week however, I know that Rachel has something up her sleeve. You may want to check her site if you're not seeing much activity here.

---

I've recently gone back to online dating and there have been a few promising matches. One in particular has peaked my interest. He was one of the very first matches for me. We've exchanged emails, asked and answered many questions about each other. Everything looks great... on the proverbial paper.

We decided to have our first phone conversation last night. I was tired and hoped to get to bed early since I was up late with my brother the previous night. (Have you noticed a pattern with my brother? He always seems to get me into trouble!)

I called this man last night around 9:00 p.m. 5 hours later, we finally hung up so that I could go to bed.

We're meeting for breakfast tomorrow.

One of the books I've read recently recommended keeping a 'feelings diary' to log any emotional red flags while dating a man. I thought, "Well, I already do that with my blog."

So, in order to document my feelings about this match (we'll call him Professor), I would like to sum up what I know so far in a few words..

My head is spinning.

---

When I drop or pickup the girls from their pre-school/after school program, there are a few other little girls who greet me with hugs. This morning, one of them ran to me and nearly knocked me over with a hug. She looked up at me, innocently, with sparkling blue eyes and said the most random thing...

"I have a jungle in my pocket."

Perplexed, I had to ask her what she said since it was such a random thing to say. Again, she repeated,

"I have a jungle in my pocket."

I looked up at the teacher and said the first thing that came to my mind,

"I don't know what she means but I have had men say that exact same thing to me."

13 comments:

  1. I'm happy that you are looking forward to a wonderful year, your positive energy never ceases to amaze me. I wish you nothing but happiness in the coming year T, you certainly deserve it!!!!

    "Jungle in my pocket" out of the mouth of babes....I thought the same thing as you!

    have a fantastic week!

    ~asw

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jingle... Jungle... Jangle... Jumble... it's all the same in the end.

    I'm so bummed that you weren't in SF when I was there! But I was very happy to meet David HIMSELF, as you called him. He's a lot of fun. Now you be good, and don't be touching things! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great post, T. I'm so excited for your trip to SF and the new year ahead. But get some sleep -- between your jet-setting, 12 hour in-person dates and 5 hour phone dates, you'll need the rest!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would have loved to see the look on the teacher's face! And yes, I thought the same thing. I just left SF yesterday. You will have an amazing time!! So excited to see what you and Rachel will stir up!

    I also look forward to hearing how everything unfolds with the new men!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. T, I am so glad you had such a wonderful birthday! I look forward to hearing about your new years trip. Have a wonderful time!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I very much like the idea of the feelings log. What a good way to identify those red flags. Have a great trip.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad you had a good birthday! And dating can be so much fun!! Can't wait to hear all about it. Thank you for your kind words, I'm quite sure I will bawl my eyes out soon, I almost did when watching "Love Actually." Love that movie.

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOOHH you are having so much fun T!!

    And meeting DAVE AND RACHEL - how WOW is that!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. hehe, I'm glad some folks came to see you!!

    Good luck with the guys and have a big ole time in SF, we expect pics!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Um...now YOU get to meet DH? Dude...

    Have a wonderful time and a very safe trip.

    Be well, T.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey T - I have a jungle in my pocket, and I'm looking forward to meeting you! :-P

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just wanted to let you know that I left you an award on my blog. Go check it out when you get a chance. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey way to go, T! I'm excited to hear how things go with Professor Man :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!