Saturday, January 17, 2009

It was 20 years ago today...

20 years ago today, I traded this skyline:

(from here)

For this one:

(from here)

I was barely 19, a college drop-out pursuing a dream of becoming a singer. I was moving to the big city, away from home for the first time ever. My mother and I couldn't even make eye contact as I said goodbye and drove away down the street where I'd spent the past 16 years of my life. I was the first one to leave the nest. I stopped at the end of my street and cried. I was exhilarated. I was terrified. Then, I drove my 1974 Plymouth Duster the 3.5 hours to my cousin's apartment, listening to my homemade mix tapes along the way.

Dallas was only going to be a temporary stop along my musical path. I figured I'd stay here a few years, get in a band and eventually head to New York or L.A.

Within the first 5 days of living here, I had my first job and was working with the man I'd marry nearly 4 years later.

Heh. Best laid plans...

I did continue singing and working a day job until one day I realized I wanted a stable, secure life versus the competitive, exhausting life of a singer. It was actually during a rehearsal with my band that I was struck by the thought,

"I want to go back to college and study something computer-related."

Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans.
-John Lennon

I didn't do anything special to celebrate today. It only occurred to me tonight that I should acknowledge it.

So... thank you Dallas for a good 20-year run. I'm not sure if I'll be here another 20 years but then again, what do I know?

The only thing you can plan for in life is to plan to be surprised.

13 comments:

  1. Oh the Big D. I do love the skyline, and I love how on a clear day and if you are up near the Vista Ridge area you can see it far off in the distance. Happy 20 year anniversary in Dallas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had no idea you wanted to be a singer!

    I'm always hearing people say that things never go as planned, which makes me really nervous because I'm such a planner. At this point in my life, I'm thinking about my career goals that I so want to happen! Maybe these plans will actually come to fruition.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, T, I learned so much about you here, too! Thanks.

    I also dropped out of school when I was 19 -- and moved back east to become a newspaper reporter... first, I was a housekeeper, a home aide, an ESL teacher. Our similarities continue, don't they?

    I'm honored that I got to hear you sing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is right. I learned that lesson almost 20 years ago myself. Can't say that has stopped me from making plans, but that has sure helped me to Live My Life more.

    Thanks, T. Can't WAIT to hear you sing! :)

    Be well...happy Sunday to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think "plans change" is a lesson that most single mom learn well. I know I did...several times. It always surprises me when people are taken aback when life does a u-turn or flips upside-down.

    Nothing surprises me anymore...in a good way and a bad way. I just know that anything is possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy 20 yrs in Dallas.

    I can't wait to be in Texas! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  7. I can't believe it's been 20 years! I remember it so clearly like it was yesterday, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy to hear that you made a consceincous choice. Most women I've known in that place have gotten knocked up and their plans quickly changed.

    ReplyDelete
  9. God laughs at mans plans, well my grandmother used to say that anyway!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. MMmmmm...I kinda miss Dallas. I lived there for 5 years. This time a year, I certainly miss the sunshine and warmer temps. I hope to go back for a visit some day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Life can take us in some unexpected directions, can't it? love that quote by John Lennon

    ReplyDelete
  12. I grew up in Dallas but haven't lived there in 17 years. Since then I've spent time (more like DONE time) in Arizona, San Francisco (the best possible place to sow my wild oats!) and now Austin which seems to be my forever home...but like you said--who knows?

    Congratulations on your Big D-naversary! I love that skyline...

    ReplyDelete
  13. What a lovely post. How cool that you followed your bliss to the Big D. Here's to chasing our dreams, and being open to the surprises life has in store for us.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!