Sunday, January 25, 2009

The Riddle that is "T"

I received an email last week from a man I was communicating with online in the fall 2007. We never actually met in person yet he recognized me, recently, at a local restaurant when I was out with the kids. He didn't say anything to me that night. Instead he looked up my old profile and our last correspondence and used that information to email me again. He actually responded to the last email I'd sent him, apparently still in his email archives.

It was just a wee bit creepy but I do remember he was a nice guy. The one thing that took my breath away was what I'd written in the last email I'd sent him, in August 2007:

"I'll be heading out next weekend to visit Dad and enjoy my 20th high school reunion. Can't even believe that!!!"

A LOT has happened since then - dad died 2 months later and I reconnected with Soldier in the weeks following my high school reunion.

His email prompted me to go back and look at my old profile. I was quite amused at my description of myself. Read on and let me know if you think it sounds like me after all:

---
WHO AM I: Well, I'm a lot of different things all rolled into one and quite comfortable being that way. I think Meredith Brooks said it best in her song Bitch:

I'm a bitch, I'm a lover
I'm a child, I'm a mother
I'm a sinner, I'm a saint
I do not feel ashamed
I'm your hell, I'm your dream
I'm nothing in between
You know you wouldn't want it any other way


I know myself very well and yet I'm still learning.

I know what I like and yet find myself surprised when I try something new.

I can't stand a man who will sit all day and watch football. Though I am originally from Louisiana and will always be a Saints fan.

I really don't enjoy sports on TV and yet I love baseball on the radio.

I listen to just about every type of music from classical, opera, musical theater and jazz to blues, alternative and pop and good old fashioned rock and roll. I can't stand country music or rap.

I'm particular and yet easy to get along with.

I can be opinionated and strong willed and then understand both sides of the story.

I am a planner (Capricorn) and yet love someone who will take the initiative to plan an evening at home, date or weekend.

I usually go for a certain look in a guy and yet I fully understand that either there's a connection or not.

I do believe in romance and yet I don't enjoy too much "sappiness".

I am very intense and passionate and yet the one of the kindest and most laid back of anyone you'll ever know.

I am wise, naive and always wanting to learn something new.

I am far from perfect, getting better at admitting it and putting my best foot forward at seeing the divine in everyone.

I am independent and looking for a companion who is confident, competent, knows who he is and doesn't mind letting me be me.

Think you can handle the riddle that is me?

WHAT INSPIRES ME: God, my kids, my mom, my children's laughter, my girlfriends, a good bottle of wine, trees, the ocean, the Internet, yoga, trying new foods, turtles (both the real ones and the chocolate ones), sitting down with a good book, great writing (books, lyrics, whatever!), Egyptian cotton sheets, art, movies, theater shows, scuba diving, learning about different cultures, the color red, a seafood dinner, romance, sunsets and sunrises, good conversation, candlelight, martinis, my feet in sand, quiet time, did I mention chocolate?, my body pillow, laughing, a nice long hug, spirituality, people who look you in the eyes when they're speaking with you, my herb garden, dogs, homeopathy, writing songs, good group energy, patience, honesty, confidence, trust, optimism, spontaneity, forgiveness, love.

---

I remember getting lots of attention on my profile until I posted the Meredith Brooks song lyrics. The guys that did respond after that told me that they LOVED that song!

Frankly, those were the guys I wanted to attract anyway.

16 comments:

  1. A complicated woman you are T. How can you like good writing and not country music??
    Thats the only place the writing is so good they can get, dogs, trains, momma, beer, sex, lust, love, heartbreak, prison,trucks, liquor, fistfights and romance in the same song and sing it in 3 minutes??

    ;-)~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow. Sounds like we have a lot in common. And that is anything but a generic profile! I've only been reading your blog (and your comments) for a couple months but your description sounds accurate. Isn't it funny to go back and read old stuff? Btw; it IS a little creapy that guy still had old emails...guess you made an impression.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think it's totally you, T! It captures your complex and spiritual nature, and your playfulness, very well.

    And any man who can't handle the riddle that you are...good RIDDANCE! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Makes me want to date you!

    xoxo
    ~vk~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Many of us girls...here in blogland and elsewhere idenitfy with the lyrics to that Mere Brooks song.

    ReplyDelete
  6. thank you for your "what inspires you" . . .

    we never stop learning . .

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thats a very cool profile! I never know what to write so usually do something so cliched!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think we are all complicated, contradictions. But not everyone is willing to admit that about themselves. Good for you that you can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I also love how you got down your complexities. You really put it out there.

    And, of course, I love Vixen Kitten's comment!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hee hee. Funny.

    I love that song, too!

    ReplyDelete
  11. We have way too much in common, girl. Maybe it's a Capricorn thing? Or the fact that we were born on the same day? Who knows... I think it's a great profile!

    ReplyDelete
  12. You are a very interesting and intriguing person based on that profile I would have quickly stepped up to the proverbial plate and responded. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi T! Thank you so much for swinging by Broken Mannequin today! Your comment is much appreciated. It has been a TOUGH journey these last few days and I am so lucky to have so much support!

    I must say, I like the looks of your blog too. This post is really interesting... The part about seeing a person in real life (randomly) who you met online... Something for me to think about!! I love to read about what inspires you! Such a long and positive list. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I think I need to find some time and read your past blogs. We seem to share a lot of the same things in our lives.

    I to lost my dad ... have my own "Soldier", and well you've been reading my blog. lol

    ReplyDelete
  15. Okay, that is creepy/stalker-like...and the Bitch song, cracks me up!!! (and that your attention from guys waned after you posted it...priceless)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!