Sunday, May 10, 2009

My Mother's Day

Grace is walking around the house with a guitar singing, "Don't Stop Believin'".



I'm sorry. That's just too damn cute.

---

Rose is making a TV for her Barbies using a piece of cardboard from the back of a notebook.



My sister and I used to do that. Our parents owned a distributing company that delivered cakes, cookies and pies to grocery stores. We always had boxes. We never had a Barbie Dreamhouse. We used a cardboard box, markers, and whatever leftover material my mom had from sewing.

We used our imaginations.

(And no, we didn't walk to school barefoot, in the snow, uphill both ways...)

---


I've seen the question being asked, "Does your ex-husband do anything or help the kids do anything for you for Mother's Day?"


I honestly couldn't remember. I actually had to go back to last year's post to see that yes, he actually did do something.

Ya gotta love blogging for that reason, if nothing else.

When we talked on Friday night, he asked me what our plans were. We were going out for a Mother's Day brunch with my sister, her family, my mom, her husband and my brother.

"Can I join you?" he asked.

He showed up with a gift. I was completely surprised. And the gift...

He bought me The Alchemist by Paulo Coelho. I have wanted to read that book for ages and I mentioned it to him briefly last week. He also gave me a gorgeous amethyst crystal.



I love that he knows me.... knows how I love books... knows how I love gemstones.

I seriously have the best ex husband ever.

---



At the brunch, we ate til we couldn't hold anymore and then sat outside and enjoyed the jazz quartet. I loved that they started their set with Henry Mancini's Pink Panther theme. That song totally drew my children into enjoying a jazz band.



---

The girls have made me cards and little trinkets all weekend long.

I am happy that they enjoy being creative and imaginative. We did rent Marley and Me last night. I warned them about the ending but they insisted we watch it.

We were all in tears at the end. Of course.

But we got in lots of snuggle time.

---

I've been feeling a little more at peace with things.

Although I can barely watch the goings on between Dr. Owen Hunt and Christina on Grey's Anatomy. It just looks too familiar and leaves me upset every time.

I don't know how I'm going to be able to watch Army Wives when the new season starts on June 7.

I took down my two online dating profiles. I just feel done.

I was in the very same place when Soldier came back into my life in August 2007.

I don't know how long it will last. I'm sure I'll have moments of anger or longing again. But for now I'm OK.

I am single. I am a mother. And I am OK.

14 comments:

  1. I have to insist I have the best Ex-husband!!!!!
    He and I are both remarried, we split holidays, we do extensive scheduling, he called me this morning to say happy mothers day and make sure that the girls gave me cards. He is awesome.
    My mothers day is slow but my daughter and grandkids are on their way and I am cooking a big dinner.
    I have to I am glad I am on your journey, we have our moments but we understand where each other is even if we are not speaking directly to one another. Thanks
    Happy Mother's Day

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad you had such a nice day with your family, those days are much needed for recharging!

    I know the memories and struggles will get easier, fewer and far between. I have to believe that they will for my own sake too. Aug 2007 was quite the month huh. :-\ Relish in the OK that you are feeling, that's good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay...first off, that's an AMAZING live performance by Perry. Wow.

    Second, I'm glad that you're more at peace with things. I know we talked the other night a little bit, but you already know I've been worried. So I'm glad to know you're doing better.

    Hope you had a fantastic day. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I found your blog through Dadshouse.

    I don't have children, but I still appreciate your posts from today and yesterday about motherhood.

    Happy Mothers Day ! I think you've been an excellent mom. Although you are too hard on yourself, that is what makes you strive to do all you do for your children.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a perfect day to me.

    Happy Momma's day!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Mothers day! And kudos to your ex for giving a gift. I always make sure my kids have something for their mom on mother's day.

    The Alchemist is a good read!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That is awesome that your ex did that, unfortunately my hubby didn't. He is so in the doghouse. LOL Not really, he did buy a part of my car so I can't really complain. Anyways you are in my thoughts. Take care and I hope you have a good week! *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  8. How lovely of your ex T! You do have a very awesome relationship! Having said that my ex had the kids this weekend and he helped them each make me a poster - was too cute!!

    I honestly beleive that online dating can be destructive! When I stopped with it all together I actually started forming postive relationships with people! The whole thing just depresses me! So good luck with not going back :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you had a great day, T! It's a good book, too; you'll love it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't imagine what it would be like to have a decent - even halfway decent ex. I can imagine how much better my life would be without mine tho!

    Glad you had a good Mother's day. You deserve it. Also glad you are finding peace.

    ReplyDelete
  11. A - Happy Mother's Day!!!
    B - I hope one day to be able to say I have the best ex. I got a text message from Ex Man yesterday and I was impressed. How sad is that!? ahahah
    C - Thanks for the song! I totally needed that this Monday morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's nice to have a good ex-hubby, I know. :)

    You're blessed T. Not only with a good ex, but wonderful girls who love you. And friends who love you too. XOXO

    -QT

    ReplyDelete
  13. awesome mother's day. Aren't kids great? (and mine make things out of cardboard all the time. we made skating rinks for their dolls out of tin foil covered cardboard, just yesterday)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Brava, sweet T!

    As always you are courageous and fun and beautiful. Glad you are so blessed as to have a kind ex and such a wonderful Mama's Day with your girls.

    Here's to surfing the waves, and appreciating the ocean.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!