Monday, May 11, 2009

This is when its hard....



The sad news this morning is about an apparent murder/suicide among U.S. Soldiers at Camp Liberty in Baghdad, Iraq.

A U.S. Soldier opened fire on 5 other soldiers.

What's hard... is that was the post where Soldier was deployed.

He just left there in February!!

I couldn't even read it without instantly tearing up. I'm not sure why. I'm home ill today; I think its a cold. So, of course I'm already not 100% ok.

When I hear about things like this, I want to contact him so badly. I keep thinking, "It could have been him! It could have been him!!"



He said all year that he had such a difficult time there, that he had to hold it together for his men.

And now.... this?

It could have been him... oh my heart hurts so bad.

This makes me so very very very sad. I can barely type this.

My heart goes out to the families of those soldiers. Please PLEASE pray for them...

At Camp Liberty in December 2008


***Update: Apparently the American Army sergeant killed five other American soldiers before he was detained. Col. Jack Jacobs has an interesting perpective on this. (And I think Soldier would agree.)***

14 comments:

  1. Damn girl if thats where he is I would absolutely contact him!

    That sucks.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is heart breaking news. My thoughts and prayer are with the families of these soldiers.

    It's time to bring these men and women home.

    Hang in there T. *hugs*

    ~vk~

    ReplyDelete
  3. No Sage, he's back in Texas now but he was there. I guess it just hits close to home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's very sad. This post really got to me. Senseless actions are the worst.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been praying - much more than before. Just with my own extended I see the effects of PTSD -- not just on the solider but on everyone.

    If it will make you feel better, send him a note to let him know you are thinking of him and his fellow soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hate to hear of stories of death. It is so hard on those men and the fact that they have to keep going back, breaks my heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Susan, I did send him a brief email. I'm sure I won't hear back from him cause he's mean like that (just kidding!). Who knows why... maybe he is actually honoring my request to not communicate. But this one... I couldn't help.

    Thank you for your support.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I heard about this on the radio this morning, and I just wanted to stop and send some love to these families.

    T, please call me if you'd like, okay?

    Wish I could make you some tea with honey...

    ReplyDelete
  9. camp liberty huh... pfff... I am not sure what to say. Hits a little too close for me too.

    I am still sad for Soldier and you I suppose. Life sucks sometimes, bleh.

    ReplyDelete
  10. T, I'm glad you sent the email - even if only for yourself. That said, I bet he appreciated it EVEN if he'd never admit it. Hmph.

    Oh, and I meant "extended family" in my first comment. If only my attention span would extend... :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. It is a rough time for all. My heart goes out to the families and friends and for all of the deployed troops. The really amazing thing is that this type of thing does not happen more often when you consider the environment that these men and women are in.

    ReplyDelete
  12. A tragic event on so many levels, I pray often for all of those that serve our country.

    I'm sorry it hit so close to home, those deep feelings we have for the ones we've loved can surface even with the smallest reminders. You heart will feel better knowing you said what you needed to in the email. It is probably better for you in the long run that he didn't respond.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sending lots of love to you...and prayers to the families affected. This is just so, so horrible...and so scary when you consider it could be someone you care about. Big hugs to you mama.

    ReplyDelete
  14. so sad. I am so sorry this happened.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!