Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Dispirited





Merriam-Webster defines the term dispirited: to deprive of morale or enthusiasm

I have used this term endlessly in my A Course in Miracles study groups. My definition is this:


- A sense of disconnection from Spirit -


It is essentially the same thing, no?


---


I am looking forward to spending time to myself this weekend, getting organized, getting back out on the bike, doing my first post-surgery 5K and working on my vision board. I've got it all planned out.

There is one thing I didn't plan for, however....    PMS

Boo.

Hormones do a number on us girls. Still, I honestly think that the degree that I'm affected by those hormones has MUCH to do with my state of mind.

Mind over matter, right?


---


My friend D has always told me that the only relationship I need to focus on, is my relationship with Spirit.

I find this to be true. When I feel dispirited or disconnected from Spirit, everything affects me. My thoughts are negative. Things look bad. I feel lonely and isolated. Life feels heavy and weighed down.

PMS kicks my ass.

Once I am able to turn my focus back to Spirit, once I am able to remember my connection to Source, once I recognize that I am loved, never alone and that I only need to bring my mind back to the Now and see the positive, then I am light again.

I feel inspired.


---


Merriam-Webster defines inspired: outstanding or brilliant in a way or to a degree suggestive of divine inspiration.

I define it as - In Spirit -

Both "dispirited" and "inspired" derive from the root word spirit, right?

When I am "in spirit", I feel the love around me. I feel as if I'm walking on air. Things just fall into place and if they don't, I am hardly affected.


When my Spirit is strong, so am I.


Then the PMS doesn't make me a moody bitch for a week. Maybe only a day or so. (I mean, come on!)


---


So for the next few days, I'm going to dive into my A Course in Miracles book, do a little yoga, get some good rest, breathe deeply, snuggle with my kids, have a glass of wine, meditate and quite possibly masturbate as well... all in the name of moving past my PMS funk.

Hey, it sounds like more fun than taking a Midol.


---------

"When you equate yourself with a body you will always experience depression."
~ACIM

"When you are sad, know this need not be. Depression comes from a sense of being deprived of something you want and do not have. Remember that you are deprived of nothing except by your own decisions, and then decide otherwise."
~ACIM


"There are times when you simply have to make a decision to rise above the pain of the world. And when you do, the world has a way of changing with you. It is absolutely nothing but a reflection of your mind."
~Marianne Williamson

10 comments:

  1. T, you are crackin' me up right now. I'm not making light of your situation - okay, maybe I am but I have SO been there (like once a month).

    I have learned to *embrace* that time of the month called PMS. I see it for what it is and always do a 'self-check' with my emotions when it comes to how I react during that time. Not that I always succeed but at least I try. I allow myself to eat chocolate, watch The Notebook and expose my vulnerable side. The people who are close to me and care about me ride it out with me. Oh, and just wait until your daughters are there with you! Good times for sure. ;)

    I hope your weekend revives your spirit. Great ACIM quotes too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. PMS gets me too. Although I've found that being on the pill has GREATLY reduced the symptoms...to the point where they've been practically non-existent for months now.

    Just sayin'. ;-)

    Hang in there. One of my favourite things to remind myself of when things are tough is: This too, shall pass.

    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  3. Try Seasonale (pill), girl. PMS comes only once every 3 months instead of once/month. They're lighter and almost no symptoms...and the best part...again...once every 3 months. Miracle stuff I tell ya.

    Buck up girl and have a great night. Hugs!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You guys are crackin' me up with the birth control suggestions. I already have that taken care of. I am VERY aware of why I'm feeling this way.

    Can you say... lack of sleep? Lack of exercise?

    Yeah, just sayin'.

    I'm going to resolve the sleep part tonight and... I'm working on building back up my exercise routine again.

    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Substitute Jesus for Spirit, and then you'll be on the right track.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i cannot offer any input in this area, unfortunately :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. PMS is something I know nothing about, except that it hits every woman differently, and a lot of them get irritable as heck! So I just stay out of the way.

    Love you spirit talk.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love your thought process! Be inspired! Love the quotes.

    I used to kid around when one woman whom used to be in my life got PMS and told her that it stood for "Putting up with Mark's Shit", because putting up with me at the time I am sure exasperated her as much as the hormones did, ha.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow! It's as if these words came right out of my PMS-ing mouth: "My thoughts are negative. Things look bad. I feel lonely and isolated. Life feels heavy and weighed down."

    It hard to keep a clear perspective when hormones are involved!

    Perhaps i need to be inspired too?

    BTW. I watched 'The Secret' after your recent post about it. Thanks. Now that's inspiring!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read a book titled Her Blood is Gold. This books suggests that PMS is actually healthy and those mood swings and things that bother you that normally wouldn't are actually things needing to be addressed.

    I like that because you know what I think? I think we use the PMS excuse a lot, I know I do.

    I also think that this would mean I am bat-shit crazy.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!