Sunday, September 20, 2009

Ode to the Single Parent

Rose turned 8 years old yesterday. My first thought of the morning yesterday was...

Wow, I remember leaving the house 8 years ago today as part of a couple. Two people.... and I knew we'd be returning as 3.

Rose and Grace both adore Hannah Montana so of course we had a themed Hannah party. We even have a friend who performs as Hannah (at a local theme restaurant) who gave us a private concert in my living room.

Say what you want about Hannah/Miley Cyrus... we adore her new movie and this song. The character Miley is raised by Robbie Ray, a single father. In the movie, she performs this song with him.

It seemed especially fitting that I post this song, sort of a thank you from child to single parent. It always brings tears to my eyes.

Enjoy.



Butterfly Fly Away
Songwriters: Glen Ballard, Alan Silvestri

You tucked me in, turned out the light
Kept me safe and sound at night
Little girls depend on things like that

Brushed my teeth and combed my hair
Had to drive me everywhere
You were always there when I looked back

You had to do it all alone
Make a living, make a home
Must have been as hard as it could be

And when I couldn't sleep at night
Scared things wouldn't turn out right
You would hold my hand and sing to me

Caterpillar in the tree
How you wonder who you'll be
Can't go far but you can always dream

Wish you may and wish you might
Don't you worry, hold on tight
I promise you there will come a day
Butterfly fly away

Butterfly fly away, butterfly fly away
Flap your wings now you can't stay
Take those dreams and make them all come true

Butterfly fly away, butterfly fly away
We've been waiting for this day
All along and knowing just what to do
Butterfly, butterfly, butterfly, butterfly fly away

Butterfly fly away
Butterfly fly away

7 comments:

  1. Happy 8th b-day. Single parents rock, it is the hardest job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy Birthday Rose!

    This song made me tear up...thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy happy little Rose :)

    What a beautiful little song! I secretly like Hannah too and so do my kidlets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love this too, we saw the movie, own the dvd (which means we have seen it more than once) and have the soundtrack. This song is beautiful, i think!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy birthday to your lovely daughter!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, sorry I am late to the party. Happy Happy Birthday!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!