Monday, October 19, 2009

Haunted memories; Lessons learned

Last week, I heard the new Kelly Clarkson song, Already Gone. The lyrics reminded me of how I felt at the end of my marriage.

After we separated, I felt stripped of everything. I couldn't let go of the future we'd planned. I also couldn't let go of the past we'd had.

It was only when I could stay in the NOW that I felt OK. I had to take each moment one at a time until... there I was. Actually OK.

When I realized that I needn't regret my past? When I let go of what I thought was going to happen? That's when I found my peace.

This song is a great reminder that I survived something I thought I couldn't.


Already Gone - Kelly Clarkson

Already Gone

Remember all the things we wanted
Now all our memories they're haunted
We were always meant to say goodbye

Even with our fists held high
It never would've worked out right
We were never meant for do or die

I didn't want us to burn out
I didn't come here to hold you, now I can't stop

I want you to know that it doesn't matter
Where we take this road someone's gotta go
And I want you to know you couldn't have loved me better
But I want you to move on so I'm already gone

Looking at you makes it harder
But I know that you'll find another
That doesn't always make you want to cry

Started with a perfect kiss then we could feel the poison set in
Perfect couldn't keep this love alive
You know that I love you so, I love you enough to let you go

I want you to know that it doesn't matter
Where we take this road someone's gotta go
And I want you to know you couldn't have loved me better
But I want you to move on so I'm already gone

I'm already gone, already gone
You can't make it feel right when you know that it's wrong
I'm already gone, already gone
There's no moving on so I'm already gone

Already gone, already gone, already gone
Already gone, already gone, already gone, yeah

Remember all the things we wanted
Now all our memories they're haunted
We were always meant to say goodbye

I want you to know that it doesn't matter
Where we take this road someone's gotta go
And I want you to know you couldn't have loved me better
But I want you to move on so I'm already gone

I'm already gone, already gone
You can't make it feel right when you know that it's wrong
I'm already gone, already gone
There's no moving on so I'm already gone

7 comments:

  1. T, I can really relate to this post. Sometimes I still feel like I'm in the process of letting go of some of those things.

    It takes a long long time to do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. KC has some great break up songs, many I could relate to at one point or another. Hadn't heard this one though. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hadn't heard this one either. How you spoke about not being able to let go of the past and the future you wanted, I totally get that. I thought I wan't going to survive it either, but I did! Feels good to be able to look back as a survivor.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes it isn't about our willingness to let go; it is a matter of those who chain us to a past we'd happily free ourselves of.

    I don't listen to break up songs. I stick with classics from the 60s and early 70s, chick flicks, or moody intellectual foreign films. And the occasional Edith Piaf: je ne regrette rien.

    And when I look at my children, while I can't say I have no regrets, I have relatively few.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Isn't is great how different songs resonate with each of us? I've got my short list.

    This is a good one.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Kelly Clarkson. This isn't her best song, but it's still pretty good.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Don't you love when you can find solace in pop culture? I do. Words, compelling words, are everywhere if we look.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!