Sunday, October 4, 2009

Voice in the community?

Last week when I wrote about Grey's Anatomy and the Army surgeon suffering from PTSD, I mentioned on Facebook that it reminded me of Soldier. I received a comment from Love Coach Rinatta:

"You know I was going to tell you - did you know EFT (emotional freedom technique) addresses ptsd (post traumatic stress disorder) really well? I am not saying it so that you could fix HIM. But I know you have a voice in the veteran community. Take a look at some of the studies listed here: http://www.emofree.com/articlesCat.aspx?id=22."

I'm all about alternative ways to heal so I was interested in the link she sent. What interested me the most, however, was her calling me out on being a "voice in the veteran community."

Really?

I do love me some soldiers. I spent a year and a half of my life supporting one through a deployment. But I never considered myself a "voice". I'm just an American girl who was in love with an Army guy.

I put that out of my mind until a few days later, when I received an email from a reader who shared another blog with me. This blog is written by Sarah Shay, a runner. Sarah is running in memory of her brother to raise money for the Wounded Warrior Project. Sarah's brother was a marathon runner who died running the Men's Marathon Olympic Trials in New York City on November 3, 2007. He was only 28 years old.

In my the email from my blog reader, she said:
"Once I saw the blog I immediately thought of you."

Was it because Sarah's a runner or because she's supporting the soldiers who have come back from war wounded?

Either way, it was yet another strange coincidence.

You see, Soldier ran the New York City marathon the very next day after this blogger's brother died. I remember hearing about her brother. I even remembered his name. I was very tuned into the events of that weekend.

So I have to give a shout out to Sarah Shay and her goal to run the Austin Marathon in February 2010. I give her props for following in her brother's footsteps and for raising money to support our wounded warriors.

Oh and did I mention that she's a single mom too?

Go girl!

---

And if I am truly a "voice in the veteran community", then I need to speak up more. I've been slacking, haven't I?

Support our Soldiers ya'll. Even if you don't support the war.


To donate to Sarah's Cause:

Ryan Shay Memorial Campaign  (click on Sarah Shay)


To support our soldiers:

Wounded Warrior Project
Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America
Letters to Leathernecks (I LOVE Hope. She sends care packages and generally adopts these guys for life.)

6 comments:

  1. Yes, ma dear, you ARE a 'voice in the community' - many of them too, I believe. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Even when you seemed so heartbroken about The Soldier, you never failed to offer support to every soldier abroad. Your empathy has always awed me woman.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are a voice in several communities, and you should keep speaking the same way you've been speaking. Voices get heard.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm with Mindy on this one T. Actually, ALL of the comments are right on! Keep it voicin sweet pea.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Power of the pen, power of the heart. You never know who you might be touching, in very important ways.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!