Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Wellness Arsenal

As you can see from my bookshelf, I have a major interest in homeopathy. This leads to an interest in all things natural medicine related. And this leads to many phone calls from family and friends asking my advice on what to do when they're ill.

I am not a doctor. Nor do I play one on TV.

However, I'd prefer to be proactive rather than reactive. Thus I offer the things that I do so that the kids and I stay healthy - especially during flu season. *




Humidifer

I run a humidifier all winter season in both mine and the girls' bedrooms. Winter air or the heater in our house dries out mucous membranes. Germs can attach and hold on easier to dry membranes.

 
Neti Pot

I LOVE my Neti Pot. I can't say enough good things about it. During allergy season or otherwise, it flushes out the sinuses of germs and allergens. I haven't tried it with my daughters yet but for them I use a saline spray.


 
 Oil of Oregano

When I do begin to feel congested, I will begin taking Oil of Oregano to prevent infection. I also consult with my homeopath about which remedy to take to clear out the congestion. Thankfully, Oil of Oregano and homeopathy have saved me from needing antibiotics for quite some time.



 

Oscillococcinum

A homeopathic remedy that helps if anyone in my house begins to show signs of the flu: body aches, fever, chills. If any of us begin to feel flu-ish, I will also give this remedy to the rest of us as a preventative.



 

Apple Cider Vinegar

Another great natural remedy for a ton of different uses. When I feel a sore throat coming on, I will add a little apple cider vinegar in water and gargle. Apple Cider Vinegar kills bacteria in the throat. Also, if I feel achy from too much exercise or being flu-ish, I will add 2 cups of ACV to a hot bath and soak for 20 minutes or more. It helps to pull toxins from the body. Love this stuff.



 
Sambucol

Sambucol is black elderberry syrup. Lately, I've noticed more generic elderberry syrups at the store. One of my favorite remedies, Sambucol was written up in an article on WebMD about how it fights the flu. Sometimes, I add it to smoothies or I add other dark berries (blueberries, acai, pomegranate) and other fruits high in antioxidants. (Love Welch's black cherry grape juice. Yum.)

I have given this remedy at the first sign of a cold in my daughters and it chases it away. A few sneezes + a few doses of Sambucol = COLD BE GONE! I will rely on a Sambucol/Oscillococcinum protocol should the flu make an appearance in our house this year.



Emergen-C

I use this all year long. My homeopath told me that one way to fight allergies is healthy doses of vitamin C. I also drink lots of extra water when I'm taking extra vitamin C.

I make sure all of us take a multivitamin and fish oils (omegas). I take extra vitamin D and a calcium/magnesium supplement. We drink Kefir or take acidophilus pearls to keep our digestive systems functioning well. A healthy digestive system goes a long way!

I saw on The Dirt Doctor (local organic gardening expert)'s website that "Drinking warm liquids... wash(es) off proliferating viruses from the throat into the stomach where they cannot survive, proliferate or do any harm." So hot tea or hot lemonade with honey is definitely in order this winter season too!

I do what I can to keep our immune systems strong so that we are less likely to be down for long if any one of us does fall ill. If these items don't help, I have a homeopath and wonderful doctor that we love! Our homeopath is a long time friend whom I met while studying homeopathy. And our medical doctor also studies homeopathy so... we get each other. I am blessed to have both of them in my arsenal.

The girls and I hug, love, eat balanced meals, eat sweets in moderation, laugh, snuggle and play to stay healthy too! Gotta stay strong!

Because when a single parent falls ill, who's gonna take care of us??



*Note: these are tried and true remedies that I use at home. Please check with your doctor if you may possibly have allergies or reactions to any of the above items.

10 comments:

  1. wow, what a great post. I am printing it and bring it with me the next time I go shopping. I don't like filling my children with over the counter drugs and so this is going to help alot. Staying healthy is huge. Getting sick and trying to take care of three young monsters at the same time is nearly impossible. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent list you've got here! I had no idea about the sambucol, but we add wild blueberries to almost everything so maybe that does something? I too take the emergen-c packages. They also have the kid version of them which I give to my kids. Maybe add plain old honey into the list? I read an article recently that honey reduces coughs significantly more than over the counter cough suppressants. (think I read it in Family Health Magazine). Both my boys are sick and I've been giving them honey. Works like a charm. Thanks for the great list!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I wish I could find a medical doctor who studies homeopathy. The doctor my daughter and I go to is quick to prescribe meds. I would prefer to avoid that as much as possible. He always makes me feel like a bad mother when I ask if there is anything natural we could use instead.


    Thanks for the great tips. We will be trying them out this winter.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh yes- as soon as our house is healthy again, I'll be all over these remedies! Thanks for the tips.
    The ACV bath is a new one for me.
    Good thing I actually like the smell of it- I'm a weirdo.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am going to copy and paste this for future reference. I knew some of it, but a lot of usefull stuff here. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for all the helpful tips. This post is definitely a keeper!

    ReplyDelete
  7. When I am in Europe, homeopathic remedies are not only available, but accepted as perfectly normal. When I have used them there, they've always worked wonders.

    I don't know why we aren't more open-minded here to things that have worked in other cultures for so long, so successfully.

    GREAT POST!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I've been a single parent all week and more ill than I have been in years. I took care of myself with help from my kids only.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love my emergen-c! Maybe I'll try a humidifier this year. When I was in New England, we put a pot of water on the radiator. Never thought to humidify my Cali home, but I bet it would help.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Winter season is also a season of flu. Taking vaccine is not the only way to resist it but boosting the immune system. Taking food supplement that consists of all essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants can help our body to defend viruses. Plus, eating nutritious food and taking regular workout should be part of the routine.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!