Friday, October 16, 2009

Where the Wild Things... Cry?



I took my daughters to see Where the Wild Things Are movie tonight.

We've enjoyed the book and the trailer looked fun, so we were all looking forward to seeing it. I couldn't figure out for the life of me how anyone could take what's virtually a 10 sentence book and make it into a 90 minute film.

The movie centers around Max, as does the book, however the movie takes you further into Max's story. Max is the youngest child of a single mother. He is imaginative, adventurous, lonely and seemingly misunderstood. In a fit of anger he escapes and winds up on the island of the wild things.

I won't say much more about the storyline for those of you who want to see it.

I found the movie to be very melancholy. So melancholy, in fact, that both my 4 year old and my 8 year old girls were crying the last 15 minutes of the film.

Let me rephrase that: my 4 year old was downright bawling, clinging, hugging and a little pissy after the movie. It probably didn't help that it was bedtime but still. She wasn't scared of anything, just really, overwhelmingly sad.

I had to explain that the general theme of the movie was LOVE. I know it seemed sad. People are sad when they don't think they're loved. I understood this theme, I think, a little better than they did.

Yes, I had tears in my eyes too.


The cinematography reminded me of The Piano. Gosh I loved that movie. I loved that it drew you into its moods with its bluish tint and gorgeous scenery. This movie drew me in the same way. The entire movie was colored by the scenery, whether it was early morning, sunset, or nighttime.

The costumes were perfect. It matched the book exactly. Max Records is the young boy who portrays Max in the movie. Again, that kid won me over much like Anna Paquin did in The Piano - and she won an Oscar for that performance.

I was also very pleased that the main "Wild Thing" Carol, was voiced by the most perfect actor for that role. You'll be able to pick him out, especially towards the end of the movie.

The music is moody, ethereal, awesome. It goes perfectly with the scenery. I knew from the very first trailer that I would love the soundtrack of the movie. The entire soundtrack is the work of Karen O and the Kids. Karen O is the vocalist for the indie rock band, Yeah Yeah Yeahs.

Overall, I was wondering if the moodiness of the movie was too much for my girls. Surprisingly, most of the theater audience tonight was adults. The movie is rated PG and I only heard one pretty innocent curse word. Some scenes are a little crazy - wild things do like a "wild rumpus".

My girls are exhausted in their beds and sleeping soundly. They did ask me, before they went to bed, if we could buy the DVD when it comes out. They both said they thought it was a "such a great movie".

See for yourself. And don't get eaten up!

5 comments:

  1. I want to see this movie so bad but I hate movies that make me cry.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh, I was gonna take my kids....I am worried it might be too weird for them!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Excellent review. We were going to see it today but my youngest boy got sick with something and we couldn't. Next week we're going. Thanks for the heads up on the emotional stuff. The book is so short that those sorts of emotions don't come through in the same way that I'm sure they can on screen. The soundtrack totally kicks ass. Does Arcade Fire do the whole thing or just that trailer song? That is them, right/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the review, I'm thinking of taking some of my girls to see it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. one of the main things that make this movie seem less "child-like" was the actors they chose for the voices, especially James Gandolfini

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!