Monday, November 23, 2009

The Affair, part 4

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3

Spring/Summer 1998:

Somewhere during this time, my husband and I began exploring the idea of an open marriage.

Neither my husband nor I had much experience outside of each other with regards to sex. We visited a few swingers' bars and seriously contemplated the idea. He had no problem with me flirting with other men... or even kissing other men in front of him.

I felt like I was pushing boundaries with him. "What if I did this? Would it anger him? Would it make him finally show his love for me? Does it turn him on to see me with another man? Does he even care? Aren't I lucky to have a husband who doesn't get jealous? Or is that a bad thing?"

We also took a trip to Mexico with two other couples that we were extremely close with. One night during the trip, the 6 of us found ourselves naked and exploring each others' bodies. I'd instigated it by taking my clothes off and convincing the others to follow suit.

I wanted to seduce. I wanted attention. I wanted sex. I wanted to revel in everyone else's sexuality.

My husband thought it was the most erotic experience he'd ever had. The more I seduced, the more I felt wanted. The more wanted I felt, the more I desired my husband. The more I desired my husband, the more he responded to me.

I couldn't get enough sexually. I worked with men who basically dripped testosterone and shared much about their sex lives with me. I was hit on and flirted with. Our work environment became a haven of sexual energy. I was throwing it around everywhere and it felt damn good to be the queen.

K and I also began discussing the topic of sex more. Just as we'd discussed every other topic from music to TV to computers to food, we discussed sex matter-of-factly. I learned much about the explorations between he and his wife. I even remember him telling me about analingus and my reaction of pure curiosity.

"You've never had that?" he asked me one day at lunch.

"No, I can't imagine. Does it feel good?" I pondered.

"Well," he smiled in a flirtatious way, "If you ever want to know what its like, let me know."

We giggled. I knew he was joking, just as the rest of my co-workers joked with sexual innuendo around me. I thought nothing of it.

Frankly, when I think of that time in my life, I recall that it felt good to get a response from *anyone* to my natural sexuality. We do get what we give away...so the sexual energy was coming back at me threefold. This was a new power to me and I'd yet to understand how to control or harness it.

---

One day, I had a question about a project that K was working on in a lab office. I called into the office and began to ask him the question.

Something seemed off. I hung up the phone and went into the office where he was working alone.

"What's wrong with you?" I punched him playfully in the arm. "Why did you sound so funny on the phone?"

He shrugged off the question and attempted to maintain his composure as my teacher.

"Seriously," I continued, "Something's wrong and you can't hide it from me."

He looked up at me with sad eyes. "T... I don't know how to tell you this but... I care for you. A lot. And... I think I'm falling in love with you."

I stood there, mouth open, catching flies, and didn't know how to react to him. I remember thinking, "Who... me?"

I don't even recall if I said anything to him. I vaguely remember him saying something about us having lots in common, how we have fun together, and other things that seem like a blur.

I went home that evening and cried to my husband. I felt so awful for K. I thought he was happy in his marriage. Surely things weren't as good between them as I'd always thought. I couldn't shake the feeling that K must have felt miserable. Maybe his wife was horrible to him? Maybe he wanted out of his marriage?

My husband took me in his arms and held me. Then he looked into my eyes and said, "I can't blame the guy. I had a crush on you when we worked together too."

to be continued...

Part 5

10 comments:

  1. so many people miss out on things because their mind won't allow them to try them.

    analingus being one of them. My figuring was always what a couple inches difference amongst friends?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just wanted to let you know that you are being read even if your not getting many comments... will be waiting patiently for Part 5.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ya know, Coachdad is right. When I write about a difficult-to-absorb topic my stats are through the roof even when the comments don't reflect it.

    Many people dont know what to say about something that makes them uncomfortable or is THISCLOSE to being a reality for them too.

    Unfortunately affairs are very common and can happen to ANYONE. But no one likes to think it could be them.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You are an eloquent story teller. This should be turned into a movie, or an episode from the short-lived series Swingtown from a couple years ago. Thank you for sharing your pain. Isn't it kind of funny how you can sum up years of roiling emotions in just a few days? Then you look back from 2009 and it seems like a lifetime ago. Stay happy in the now. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is riveting...that's all I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  6. T, you've given me the courage to talk about my own experiences... Even if no one reads what I write it feels good to get it off my chest.

    Thank you for putting it all out there and being so raw about it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You guys and gals are all awesome. Thank you for the continuing outpouring of love as I'm processing this.

    I don't know what I'd do without you...

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!