Wednesday, March 17, 2010

A Happy Day

I know me and sometimes I just need to be outside. Fresh air and sunshine makes me a happy, HAPPY girl.

Last week, I was ticked at my ex because I was trying to make some plans for the kids and I to go camping sometime this week. I wanted to use the pop-up camper that the ex and I bought - which, currently, is nothing more than an over-priced playhouse in his backyard. Unfortunately, he has not been maintaining the license on the camper and thus, I was unable to use it. He's promising to get it up to snuff before summer so he can take the girls camping. I'm going to have faith in him. He's been surprising me lately.

After realizing the camper idea was out, I decided to rent a cabin. It is spring break and we could only be out for one night. Personally, I'm a tent sort of girl. I have no problem going in the woods. My girls, however, haven't been exposed to that much 'roughing it' yet so a cabin would work just fine.

I talked to my mom, a long time camper herself, who asked if she could come out and bring my sister's kids too. Then I found out that my brother was coming. And my sister would show up too. Gem thought it sounded fun and decided to pop in at the last minute.

It was exactly what the doctor ordered!

Our home by the lake - for one night



I wanna kayak too!!



I had to take a picture of the mallards for Gentleman Jack



A gorgeous sunset and perfect weather



An advertisement for Texas



Ahhhh! Beautiful sky



I love a good campfire on a chilly night


We laughed. We went on nature walks. We enjoyed ducks and gulls and geese and turtles and squirrels and howling coyotes in the distance at dusk. We grilled burgers, hot dogs and steaks. I enjoyed some vodka tonics, while others enjoyed beer and wine. We made s'mores and met our camping neighbors. My brother brought out his guitar and we sang around the campfire. We reminisced about camping trips from our childhood and our dad. We took a ton of silly photographs. The kids searched for shamrocks in celebration of St. Patrick's day. Gentleman Jack was there in spirit and declared, "You really are a great match for me!"

And that made me smile.

Mostly, it made me smile because I was already smiling. I was enjoying myself, feeling the love from my family and reconnecting with nature.

The 'make me happy' thing doesn't start with Gentleman Jack or any sort of changes to our situation. Things won't be better as long as I'm stuck in the 'if only' state of mind. I know this but I don't always remember.

The happiness starts with me.

14 comments:

  1. Sounds like my kind of mini-trip! I'm hoping my next weekend off is nice and sunny.. if it is, the girls and I are overdue for a day at the beach!

    I'm so glad you find that extra big smile. =)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to see you had such a great time, T!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Post is bang on kilter, and I am even viewing on my mobile.

    I so appreciate that you enjoyed everything thoroughly even if rascal couldn't be there. You are a complete and whole person, T! :-)

    :)t

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you guys had a great time. Also where did they find Shiner Black that is one of my fav. beers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous!! Looks like so much fun. The best times I've ever had have been in little cabins in state parks for $60 a night. Can't beat it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Girl, it sounds like EXACTLY what the doctor ordered. Good for you!! Sometimes we just need to get out of our own heads for a little while and enjoy all the goodness that life has to offer us.

    Because there really IS a lot, once we start looking for it.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sounds like fun! I need to take Benjamin camping sometime. There are some great places around here.

    Mmmmmm steak.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks like you had a blast. I'm a cabin girl. To quote Sam, our idea of roughing it is a hotel without a pool. (I grew up in the Adirondacks and REALLY roughed it when camping. So, I'm over it.)

    And I love that you are happy. It's a good look for you. Sad is soooo last season. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. T, it's great to see your smiles. You're beautiful (even with a hunk of meat in your mouth).

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds wonderful!

    Glad you had such a great time.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like so much fun. I can't wait until camping season around these parts. Good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. That's awesome - love the pics and the happy-theme to your post. I had a happy-themed post too yesterday! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I couldn't agree with you more! This post gets a big thumbs up from me!!! Not to mention, it completely made me smile. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This post makes me smile big time, too.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!