Wednesday, March 24, 2010

The Inspiration for the Quest

Back in 2007, around the time of my father's death and dating a deploying soldier, I picked up a book that everyone was reading. I kept fighting it because it was TOO popular. However, the title was showing up everywhere in my experience so I figured the universe was trying to tell me something.

Funny, I even blogged about reading it in one of my earliest posts!

That book was Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert.

I loved it instantly. I loved her voice. I loved her honesty. I loved her candor. I loved her search for herself.

I identified with her COMPLETELY.


Even down to the name of her boyfriend post divorce!

As I read that book, with all that was going on in my mind and my life, I knew that I was searching just like she was. I wanted to document it, just like she did. I wanted to be that honest and real and talk about things that we all felt as women, as sexual beings, as spiritual seekers, as humans.

And so I decided that month to start a blog. And that blog would have a name that would capture the idea of my search.

Her book was the impetus for the chronicle of my quest.

Today I saw that the movie is due out in August and I am beside myself giddy. I told Gentleman Jack that yes, it's a chick flick, but that he was absolutely going to see it with me. He agreed.

I love that he supports what makes me happy. Oh he makes me swoon still...

So I present to you, the trailer for Eat, Pray, Love. In theaters August 13, 2010.

18 comments:

  1. OMG, I just read thist I too realted to it in so many ways. Or should I say that I want to go, experience and find who I am supposed to become. Lets see it in Vegas!
    Not to mention, Julia Roberts! Woot, woot!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just finished this last week. I felt the same way you did at first..there was So much hype I was not going to read it! BUT I loved it!!!! I will definetly go see the movie!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I never read it and don't suspect I'll see the movie but I giggled at myself cause I WOULD read and see MY similar movie title "Eat,Screw, Hunt!"

    hehe

    Ok it was funy to me tho!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post! Another book to ad to my list of must reads, I think!

    And the movie trailer looks really good.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jim Everson (Depot Dad)March 25, 2010 at 1:27 AM

    Speaking for myself, all I can say is that this could be the preview for the second coming itself, but if it has Julia Roberts in it, I will make every effort to be somewhere else.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow. Just..wow. I need to read this book. I must watch this movie. I'm bringing all my girls and my daughter. So powerful. Thank you, T!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, LOVE reading about what inspired you to start your blog! And yet another reason I NEED TO READ THIS BOOK!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I also loved the book and hope the movie does it justice!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wish you could go to India with me this summer!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I read that too and really enjoyed it. I am glad that your quest continues and that we can be a part of it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I tired to read the book but couldn't get into it. I left off some time after Italy. I'll probably go to see the movie and this might be one of those rare movies that I think is better than the book.

    As I said, T, I think you're book is much better that Eat, Pray, Love ...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved her voice. I liked the book. I'll go see the movie. Thanks for letting us know about it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I read the book for the first time last winter/spring when CBG and I weren't together. It was perfect timing for me...and it the book had a profound effect on me. I'm always nervous when a movie comes out, I wonder if it'll be able to do the book justice. Especially a book that was as personal as this one for me.

    But I will definitely be seeing it, and I'll be dragging you-know-who along with me.... ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  14. i'm totally excited for this movie too! and it's awesome that it inspired you to start blogging :D

    ReplyDelete
  15. This book changed my life too. I blogged a lot about it last year, and recently read Gilbert's follow-up, a book about marrying Felipe. I wrote a series of posts about that, too: http://snarkdivorce.blogspot.com/2010/03/subversive-marriage.html

    I saw the trailer for the movie, but I'm not excited about it. It's hard to imagine how they can translate all the introspection of the book into a movie. I'm pretty sure I'll be disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I gave this book to my mom for Xmas hoping that she would read it and maybe open her mind to other things. Instead she complained about "having to" read it. It's on my bookshelf now. I want to read it with my book club but my turn hasn't come up yet to pick. I may ask to have my turn moved up now.

    ReplyDelete
  17. great to know the source of your inspiration! i hope the movie is decent and does the book justice...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved this book. :) And I can't wait to see the movie, too! Oh...soul searching...it is my life's pursuit. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!