Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Dedications

As I was driving home last week and flipping through the radio stations, I came across a song I hadn't heard in years. It was a song that I'd dedicated to my daughter, Grace, in her baby book shortly after her birth.



It reminded me of another song that I'd dedicated to my first daughter, Rose, in her baby book.



Now, I'm not into sappy music... but when I listen to either of these songs, it brings back all of that emotional overload of holding a precious new life in my arms. And each song makes me cry. Every. Single. Time.

*sniff*

Whew! Anyway...

I'm still amazed, when I look at the lyrics to Rose's song and Grace's song, the words apply SO much to their personalities.

***

I'm also reminded of a brief but telling conversation with Rose in the car last week:

Rose: Mommy, do you think that music speaks to you? That it has a mood?

T: Yes. Absolutely.

R: Me too.

T: Of course you do. You are my child.

R: I'm not YOUR child. I'm God's child. And you are too. In fact, all of us are.

T: Good point. And very well said, sweet girl.

***

I love my girls...


Are there any songs that move you in that way?

11 comments:

  1. Oh, yes. I'd have to come back to you on that one. I don't have any dedicated to my children, but off the top of my head, Van Morrison's "Into the Mystic" and Led Zeppelin's "Thank You" really, really move me. Of course, I have songs that move me to tears, both good and bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So many songs move me, but for different reasons.

    I can't hear Banana Slugs' "Safe at Home" and not break down, remembering The Kid's early years. (I'm still trying to erase the Barney song, though ...)

    For Sean and me, though, Beck's "E-Pro" has a very special association ... Mmmm ...

    ReplyDelete
  3. My song for Rachel has always been Tim McGraw's "My Little Girl" ever since Flicka came out.

    It fits us so well...

    ReplyDelete
  4. My wife spent a lot of time rehearsing for a show when my oldest was around 5 mo. old and we used to listen to the new Trial By Fire album by Journey (1996). I remember dancing around with him and his fuzzy head singing, "Easy To Fall" and "Can't Tame The Lion"

    ReplyDelete
  5. SO true. Your girls are very sweet.

    We've always joked about one of my girls having the theme song "Bad to the Bone" as she is the most...um...spirited child. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love your daughters too. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy - Leona Lewis - LOVE LOVE LOVE the words, it's my anthem...doesn't quite relate as I don't have children, but for me, this is it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. That Lee Ann Womack song makes me cry every time, too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. There's a Smashing Pumpkins song that hits me every time. But it's not their song, is it - it's God's song! Haha. Your daughter is cute.

    ReplyDelete
  10. awhile ago I posted a song by Allison Kraus that always makes me think of BLT and the way he makes me melt, or feel all safe and secure w/o ever saying anything.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Never got to comment on this - but my song to both girls is I'll Stand By You - the Pretenders

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!