Friday, September 17, 2010

Favorite Depot Dad posts

As I stated before, I'm still holding vigil for my single dad friend, Jim, who writes his blog at DepotDad.com. (See the candle on my sidebar. Let me know if you'd like to burn a candle too.)

I've written a few posts about Jim here on my own blog. The man has inspired me since we first followed each others' blogs, began talking by phone and then finally met in December 2008: Inspired.

Then his fight with cancer took a downturn last spring: Keep the laughter alive... in which he gave this advice:

"If there's one thing I could tell my friends...It would be to BE HAPPY NOW. I've spent too much of my life unhappy and.... there's just no time for that. You have to make the choice to BE HAPPY. It is as simple as that."

He fought through that time and found a drug treatment that seemed to be working. Then another scan revealed the tumors coming back with a vengeance. Once again, I asked readers to offer support: Sending love.

And it kept getting worse but he kept fighting. I wrote again about him and this time added one of my favorite (and first!) posts written by him: I have no words...

This man is a CHAMPION!

I love seeing posts going up around the blogosphere in support of Jim. It is totally deserved.

Thank you to:

Not Your Average Single Momma

Momma Sunshine

Canadian Bald Guy

QTMama

Jolene

MindyMom

And tweets and ReTweets from:

jolene_TBD
Hubman
SoccerMom
Dr. Leah and Singlemommyhood

And of course, Rachel Sarah (who always keeps us in the loop!)

Jim has many friends!

Today, Jim is undergoing emergency surgery to place a stint in his lungs to help him breathe. The tumors have expanded and multiplied on his lungs so quickly that he is unable to breathe. The saddest part of all of this is that the cancer started as a mole on his scalp under his hair. It wasn't detected until it had spread to his lymph nodes. The fact that it is now on his lungs makes me ill.

So, I'm sending more prayers for this complicated surgery. I will be visiting him a week from today. I'd really like to see him again.

Call me selfish.

I would also like to direct you all to his blog with this... a few of my favorite Depot Dad posts. (There are too many!) The first one was written recently and, ya know, speaks volumes.

Getting hit

Then there are the video posts! Love these stories:


(I still remember him telling me this story as we ate lunch in downtown San Francisco.)


(Love that laugh!!!)

(Found another one!!! Ahhhh! Forgot about this one!)





Love you Jim.

Love love love love love

12 comments:

  1. T, the best post EVER.

    Love love love love love love love love love love love love love love

    and more love to Jim.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, what a laugh. Makes me ... I'm just ... Teary. And I've never even had the honor of meeting him.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It makes me realize so very much about how i live my life. I don't know him other than following him for a while, but am amazed at what a good man he is!
    I think about him a lot and will continue to send as many good thoughts as I can!
    Your a good friend T

    ReplyDelete
  4. I <3 Jim. I've had the pleasure of meeting him and it's true, the laugh, well, it's just beautiful.

    I will continue to send all my love to him and his family.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Beautiful T. I linked to it in my post. Heartbreaking...but he is so proud and touched, I am sure, by the outpouring of love and support. All we can do is LIVE and cherish, right? For him.

    ReplyDelete
  6. T, you're a good friend with a big heart. Thanks for this post. I liked the juggling lesson ... you have to learn to let go.

    ReplyDelete
  7. My thoughts and prayers are with you Jim. I've never met you, other then through this blog, but that is enough to know you're one of life's great blokes.

    T - you are some special friend and an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  8. so sad! So unfair!!! Thank you for sharing this..I will send prayers his way!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love this post. And I love me some Jim. So sad.

    Hope you dont mind if I add my post from a few weeks ago to your list (w/a pic of Jim and LO, 2009)

    http://singlemommindy.blogspot.com/2010/08/for-friend.html

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thinking, hoping, praying every day for Jim and his family. Thank you, T for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  11. That story about the park was enough to make me tear up with laughter. He was a great storyteller!! I bet his kids will love these videos someday.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!