Sunday, September 5, 2010

Summer weekend moments of happy

Photo from Vi.sualize.us

The strangest part about how I was feeling in my low last week... is that today, I can barely relate to who I was just a few days ago.

I did realize that my biggest fear was of the future. And fear of lack of control. Thankfully, those lows always lead me to some new revelation. I guess it's that whole dark night of the soul thing.

I've also realized in the past few days that perhaps this is a big shift from who I was to who I'm becoming. I'm actually becoming all the time. Moving towards something... and never stopping to appreciate where I am now.

When I look back on who I've been for the past 40 years of my life, I was always aiming for something, defining myself. Right? Isn't that what getting to 40 is all about? Who will I be in this world?

Maybe this is the time when I can stop aiming. Maybe this is when I can just plan for things I want to do instead of things I have to do.

I don't HAVE to get married or have children. I don't HAVE to aim for some big time career or some giant house or some lofty goal. I always felt like I had to have that in my 20's and 30's and I did reach those goals.

Maybe my 40's will be all about just sitting with where I am now and appreciating it.

Maybe my future plans will be more about what bike ride I'm going to do next or the next weekend I'll get to see my Gentleman or taking my kids to the next Harry Potter movie. Maybe it's not about me anymore. Maybe it's about watching my kids make THEIR lofty goals and reaching them.

Maybe it's time I take the time to be happy being happy.

Simple enough, right?

Sounds like a grand enough goal for me.

Hope you're enjoying this last weekend of summer. I am. :)


"A happy life is just a string of happy moments. But most people don't allow the happy moment, because they're so busy trying to get a happy life."
~ Abraham-Hicks

11 comments:

  1. yes so simple- yet so hard to grasp! I am trying to do the same thing...stop worrying so much and just enjoy the moment....

    ReplyDelete
  2. That quote is amazing - and so true.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's awesome. I want to do just that. I hope you're able to sit and be where you are--appreciate it. The times I can do that I feel great! Good luck (and thrilled to see the black cloud leaving!).

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've used this quote before too - it's so true, and just captures what I try to channel all the time! And you are right, being happy is sometimes hard, because you're thinking about all the things you aren't, or don't have or whatever it may be. But sometimes it's good to get back to basics and just BE. Love this post for what it is - and that it is capturing moments of happy. XO.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great quote! I've never heard it put like that before. I'm a firm believer that life is made up of a hundred moments a day: of contentment, of disappointment, of happy, of sad, of surprises, of triumph.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love how you have revelations for me. It makes my life so much easier!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sometimes that's easier said than done, but you'll never be as happy if you can set aside goals (whether attainable or not) and simply enjoy life for what it is in this moment...which, for you, appears to be pretty decent.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Enjoy the happiness. You deserve it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Everyone's girl to be happy. You deserve to sit back and enjoy all the happiness you can find.

    Obviously my goal is to achieve happiness in my life.. which is why I've put myself through everything I've gone through lately. And I'm going to put myself through more. Lol.

    Enjoy all your happiness T!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I wish it was as simple as allowing a string of happy moments. God my life would be so much, well, simple.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!