Sunday, October 10, 2010

Living a life of Vitality

I realized, as I was in mile 22 of my 30 mile bike ride yesterday, that I'm generally inspired when my body is being challenged with some other activity. I can break through a writer's block or problem solving when I'm in yoga or even while sleeping. So, it was no surprise to me that this blog post came through as I was cycling in my charity event.

Vitality, defined by Webster is:

  1. (a ): the peculiarity distinguishing the living from the nonliving   (b) : capacity to live and develop; also : physical or mental vigor especially when highly developed 
  2. (a) : power of enduring   (b) : lively and animated character

This word has been circling in my brain for the past several days.

***

As I mentioned last week, I have been feeling rather stifled in my career. I've been looking for inspiration... something to set me on fire again.

Vitality

A female co-worker invited me to attend a women's seminar on Thursday afternoon. I agreed to go but dreaded it. I don't usually get along with other women, which is why I work in a technical career with mostly men. Very rarely have I been inspired by other women, with the exception of the past few years of blogging.

Perhaps now I am more open to it?

Two women spoke at this event. Two multi-millionaires. Two women who began their upward financial journeys as single mothers. I had goosebumps through the entire event. I felt like my entire being was vibrating in admiration of their vitality.

***

Yesterday, as I prepared with other cyclists to journey into our miles for charity (and later, streamed the Ironman championship triathlon on the computer), I felt the same vibration. I looked at the other athletes, attracted to something I couldn't quite put my finger on...

Vitality

I noticed this same spirit when I was in Europe. Everyone bikes or walks in the small German town I visited or all around Amsterdam. Everyone's energy pulsed at a level that was practically palpable. I felt alive there. I get this same feeling in towns like Austin, San Francisco, and Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Everyone shining their light.

***

The following quote is on this blog more than any other:

"Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."
~ Marianne Williamson

I think I've misunderstood this quote at times. "Letting your light shine" doesn't mean stomping out others' lights in order to be better than you are now. Shining your light means being vital in the lives of others. Shining your light means inviting others to join you in your light, inspiring them to shine their own.

To be vital is to be invigorated, renewed, refreshed, animated and necessary for the maintenance of life!

***

What is vital to your life?

If you want to be athletic but long for inspiration, go to Active.com, find a local charity bike ride or run and volunteer. Bring your kids to volunteer too! They're ALWAYS looking for volunteers at these events. Allow the athletes' light to encourage your own strengths!

If you want to change or improve your career, home life or finances, go to Meetup.com or Linkedin.com and look for workshops or seminars (often at no cost) to listen to other inspirational stories, much like your own!

Some people will feel uncomfortable when you shine. It is their OWN FEAR of their own light. Don't let it discourage you, as I have done over and over again.

Be you. Shine on!

Isn't that what we're here for?


Happy 70th birthday to John Lennon, who encouraged us all to shine on!

6 comments:

  1. GO YOU and the ride...you inspire me with your amazing rides you embark on! And you are right...shine on. I'm already thinking of my next challenge now that the half is over ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. GO, T! What a great way to look at yourself, your future goals, and life.

    So glad your charity ride went so well, and gave you so much inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So proud of you, T. You never take a passive approach to life. You inspire me every day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm not sure what we're here for, T, but I sure see a lot of people stressing over it, for meaning and purpose.

    We tend to put a lot of emphasis on acquiring "things" and fears instead of acquiring knowledge, love, gratitude, acceptance, patience, kindness ...

    We only have one go round on this planet (or so I believe), and it goes by fast! Our life is what we make of it. Call it vitality, call it living ...

    You seem to be grasping it with gusto. I like that in a person ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Inspiration T, that is what you always are to me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. as I was cycling in my charity event - at first blush, I thought it said clarity event.

    I love cycling. It's when I get my most creative and vital ideas.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!