Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Run, T, RUN!



Lately, I've been in a bit of a career crisis.

You see, I'm a bit like Forrest Gump in the scene above. When I find something that interests me (music, information technology, stay-at-home-motherhood, natural medicine, spirituality, triathlons), I pursue it hard, fast and true. Like Forrest, I run and I run, without stopping. I learn. I challenge myself. I research. I grow.

And just like Forrest, when I get to a certain point, I simply stop running.

I'm done.

That's a bit how I'm feeling at my job lately. I'm feeling stifled and pigeon-holed. I have no passion for what I'm doing. I even stopped teaching my A Course in Miracles study group recently. It occurred to me one day that I didn't want to do it anymore. So I stopped.

The funny thing about me is, though it may seem that I have a short attention span when it comes to things that interest me, I do have continued interest and will continue learning... more than likely at a normal pace (instead of hurried and furious). I also know that there is no way to predict what will set me on fire next.

I've asked for it. I've put it "out there" to help me find a career path that will bring that passion back. One that suits my strengths. One that fits my lifestyle. One that inspires me to keep running.

I know it will present itself to me, as it has in the past. I have to get out of the way, have faith and let it.

Wish me luck.

10 comments:

  1. You and me both, sister! Here's hoping we both find what we're looking for.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Funny you mentioned running today. I just returned from a 2 mile walk, with a 2 mile jog backer... I haven't ran in a while and it felt so good to get out there with my little puppy and run. She needed it to! She's laying at my feet right now, worn out.
    I know that's not what your subject is about but I thought I'd share that.. I too am feeling stifled. I'm at the point in my life where I've done what was expected of me all my life and now I want to do something that "I" want to do... I just need to figure out what that is...
    Sitting quietly and then taking action seems to work for me.
    I know you'll do well young grasshopper...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's funny....starting this new job has made me acutely aware of how important it is to have a career that interests you and you excel at. I FINALLY feel like I have that, for the first time, career-wise, possibly in my whole life. It's an exhilarating feeling.

    So good luck with it, T! Hopefully you will get exactly what you're asking for! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. in some ways I am similar! VERY passionate until I am NOT!:) Good luck in your quest!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Best of luck to you, T! You'll figure it out. And once you do...can you help me?

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are a bright, smart woman and it is only a matter of time before your next passion sneaks up and grabs you. Can't wait to read about it ..

    ReplyDelete
  7. Being burnt out and unhappy at work is so not good. When it comprises a 1/3 of our day it's best to have that 33% be good.

    All the best as you find another...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I can't wait to see what it ends up being. I know that if you become a therapist, I will be supporting you! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm TOTALLY with you on this - can I lob on to your request of the universe so it grants me that as well!? XO!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!