Wednesday, November 24, 2010

A Course in Miracles

I have received a few emails, from those of you who have been reading this blog for a while, asking about the spiritual text that I study, A Course in Miracles.


I've had my head in this amazing blue book since my ex-husband and I split up. Honestly, it has helped me through so much. The principals of the Course are finding forgiveness, peace of mind, choosing love instead of fear. The text was scribed by Helen Schucman, a woman who was a psychology professor at Columbia University in New York. She was an atheist Jew (ironically enough and struggled with the powerful spiritual messages she was receiving), avid scholar and admirer of the works of Shakespeare. The book leans heavily on psychology and spirituality and is written in Shakepearean Iambic pentameter.

In other words, it's not the easiest book to digest. That is why there are so many ACIM study groups worldwide.

Now, whether or not you decide to dive right in (and some people do), I will tell you that I did not.

The first time the book was mentioned to me, I picked it up, read a few pages and then promptly put it down. It just didn't fit. It wasn't for me. It made no sense.

That's the beauty of this book and this life. When the student is ready, the teacher appears.

After the ex and I split, my dear spiritual friend, D, once again asked me to attend his ACIM study group. This time, I went, I read, I fell in love. Other students I've met have said the same thing: This book comes to you in your darkest time.

***

I had read other books, from the initial time I saw ACIM and when I finally learned to love it, that lead me to the Course. I've also read other books since... that have helped me in my growth and spiritual understanding of the Course.


I began with A Return to Love by Marianne Williamson. I read this book ages before I was introduced to A Course in Miracles. Did I buy the book because the title sounded beautiful? Or perhaps someone gave it to me? Nevertheless, it has been on my bookshelf for years. She writes of a life of making good choices and bad. She speaks honestly. She is candid and funny. I love this book.



I read Conversations with God by Neale Donald Walsch probably 10 years ago or so, again long before ACIM. My friend D had also recommended it to me to aid in my constant questioning of religion and God. Love this book and have read it many many times.



After I became a student of A Course in Miracles, I went through even more questioning. It was tough, looking at the ego choices I'd made in my life. It was difficult to take responsibility for my thoughts and still believe that I was still loved and worthy of even more love. There are books written about the Course but this one, The Disappearance of the Universe: Straight Talk About Illusions, Past Lives, Religion, Sex, Politics, and the Miracles of Forgiveness by Gary Renard, this one took the cake for me. I felt that I had a much better understanding of things after reading this book.

These authors, as well as Tolle, Dyer, or Ken Wapnick, (all ACIM students) have all helped me spiritually and in life.

***

Again, let me re-iterate that there are many paths, this is simply the path that I choose and several have asked about it. I choose not to proselytize about my path. To each their own. However, if the demonstration of how I live my life inspires you, then perhaps these books/authors will too.

The craziest thing about studying this book is that I now see it everywhere. From movies (like Inception) to other spiritual leaders (like Joel Osteen) to life. I stand in awe at the teachers around me all the time.

Oh and if you loved the movie The Matrix, it was written by ACIM students too. Just sayin'. 

3 comments:

  1. Love this. And totally agree, there are teachers all around us. I think I'd really like a Course in Miracles (I love Joel Osteen!). I may give it a go when I have some time!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for sharing with us!! I’ve been wondering about these things for a while now. I’d love to read some of those books as well.

    Happy Thanksgiving!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, T! This helps a lot. I have a sense that the ACIM text would be too much for me to digest right now, but I will check out some of the other books and authors. I too read 'A Conversation with God' about 10 years ago, and it spoke to me then. I haven't re-read it in a long time. In the last couple of years, I have read and enjoyed nearly everything that Wayne Dyer has written. I am interested in so many approaches and paths to spirituality, and I truly believe they are all one. It's good to find company on the path.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!