Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Dog spelled backwards...

I turn to my faith when I feel lost. That's also, generally, when I notice that miracles happen.

***

I remember being 9 or 10 and camping with my grandparents. They had a schnauzer/dachshund mix dog named Keno.

One evening, we were sitting around the campfire at our site when, suddenly, a pack of dogs rushed through. Keno, who wasn't leashed, ran after the dogs. I'm not sure if I ran after him out of habit or if my grandparents asked me to chase him down. That moment in time isn't clear to me. What I do remember, however, is finally catching up to him and realizing...

I had no idea where we were.

I hadn't been paying attention to where we were running. I was only chasing the dog. I'm also very directionally challenged.

(Yes, I'm the girl who can't ever find my car in the parking lot. And I'm the girl who turns left when you say to turn right. Ironically, I am one helluva map reader!)

I remember hooking Keno to his leash. I remember heading back in the direction I thought we were supposed to go. I remember that it was getting darker and darker. I remember lots of trees...

Defeated and frightened, I sat down on a stump, in the middle of the forest, and cried, begged and pleaded with God to help me.

Not Keno but he looked just like this!
In that moment, Keno tugged on his leash. Looking up at me with his big dark eyes, I got the feeling that he was saying, "It's ok. I got this."

"Do you know how to get back?" I asked.

He pulled and began leading me through the darkness and trees. I had nothing but complete faith and trust in him in that moment.

The next thing I knew, we were walking back into the campsite. My grandparents were very happy to see us both.

***

Here again, I find myself defeated in the middle of a seemingly dark forest.

There is too much about my life in which I feel unsettled, defeated and frightened. Occasionally, I feel the tug of Trust. Sometimes, I can sense Strength saying to me, "It's ok. I got this."

I just haven't gotten my butt off the stump yet.

9 comments:

  1. That is an excellent post T!

    It's been said that God often speaks to us through that 'still small voice' in our souls, I would highly encourage you to listen to it.

    I think you'll find it to be a good decision.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is such a cute story and the pup is adorable. Love him! Dog spelled backwards...wow, you always know how to tie something in that blows my mind! XO...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That really is a great story.

    I had a similar experience once. It was the day of my grandfathers funeral and it had hit me hard. I went for a run to try, and find some focus, and found myself in the local War Memorial Park. It was as if someone had sent me there and I suddenly remembered my grandfather telling me that he'd had a good and long life unlike many others that he had gone to war with but who had not returned.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was just writing a post about putting your faith in God. Letting him truly lead. My control freak side of me fights this every time I think of it. And then stories like this and Spencer Park make me stop, think and really want to give it a try. Maybe he won't let us down if we give in to him.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To echo everyone else, beautiful story! I'm actually a bit envious. Nothing like that has ever happened to me. Or maybe I just didn't recognize it? Or maybe I just didn't let it happen? Sounds like I need to be more open and aware.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Awww. I love this story. And you do have this. Take a moment then get off your stump. Rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Perfect ending, pretty girl. :) LOVE IT!

    ReplyDelete
  8. what an amazing story. Gave me goosebumps.

    It’s amazing what can happen when we “give it to God”.... or the universe, or whoever’s out there.

    I remember on a particularly difficult day during a particularly difficult time, talking to my Grandmother (who had passed away years before) in my car on my way to my attorney’s office; suddenly a van pulled up next to my car with my Grandparent’s last name in HUGE letters on the side of it- it was just a regular commercial van but the last name is not a common one. The timing was incredible, I almost drove my car off the road. It was like she was telling me she’s always with me.

    Our darkest hours shape us. I’m praying for you!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!