Friday, January 7, 2011

"T Powers Activate!"


My friend TNT and I have really great conversations. We're very similar in how we inspire each other and give advice. We also have some of the same downfalls, like a very unfortunate martyr complex.

Initially, when Gentleman Jack and I started dating, he was very uncomfortable with my relationship with TNT. After all, we were once friends with benefits, an odd and very unique way to begin a friendship. Strangely, it's worked for us. Perhaps because we've already "tapped that", if you'll pardon the expression, there isn't any sexual tension. Or if there is, I'm oblivious to it because I just don't see him that way.

He is a best friend. A good listener. A kind soul. And his daughter is my daughter's best friend.

TNT and I are able to share without judgment. We've lived through some intense and crappy relationships together. All the while, we help each other cheer up, allow tears, anger or frustration, encourage each other to get back to athletics (he's a half-marathoner), and enjoy grown-up discussions while the kids run off and play. I love having him in my life.

Now that my Gentleman realizes what TNT provides for me, he gets it. Sometimes, when he knows I'm being way emo and he can't figure out (what he calls) the "right thing to say", he'll tell me, "Go talk to (TNT). He'll be able to help you through this."

TNT is in a very strained relationship with someone that's been going on for some time now. She doesn't like me. She, however, isn't aware of the FWB background - she just hates that I'm his best friend. (I get it.)

I'm not offering him any more advice on if he should stay with her or not. (NOT.) I am, however, listening and watching how much of a beat down it has been on him.

He witnesses my own fight with life, love and lessons. He also notices when I don't understand Jack's male mind. He helps to "manslate" things for me. He reminds me to get my butt back on my bike. We could probably solve the world's problems together but for now, we'll continue to solve our own.

Our "T" beacon, as drawn by TNT. (Wish the pic was better!)

Because of the inspiring nature of our interactions, and because our names both begin with "T", we've started joking that when we get together, we're like the Wonder Twins. We've even started greeting each other with a hug, knuckle bump and "T powers activate!"

Last week, when he, I and the kids were at dinner one evening, he drew the above "T beacon in the sky" on our paper table cloth.

When we first met, I told him that I was often referred to as Wonder Woman because she was my childhood super hero. He then showed me his Superman ring and admitted that he, too, had a favorite childhood super hero.

We are ever grateful to DC Comics!

Perhaps in our minds, we are superheroes... fighting against injustice in the world.

All I know is that it sure is nice to have a friend like that.

11 comments:

  1. "manslate" You need to copywrite! Hilarious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great that you can have such a good friend of the opposite sex, and I'm really glad that Gentleman Jack understands that friendship. I wish I was still as close with my guy friend as I used to be, but we've grown apart. He wasn't all that helpful anyway, lol.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to have an excellent best guy friend... but we had not tapped that (despite always ill-timed on again/off again crushes on each other than began waaaaaay back in the 6th grade). There was plenty of sexual tension, which made it a lot of fun (and very frustrating at times!), but also makes it a little weird to hang out together when we're both in relationships (which we are). But man, I miss that guy!

    Also? Wonder Woman was my hero too. But not just any Wonder Woman - Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman was my hero. I thought she was so beautiful (and brunette, like me!) and strong. Loved her!

    ReplyDelete
  4. YES! Exactly the reason I loved Lynda Carter as Wonder Woman too! I loved any star who was brunette like me. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's funny...I always wanted a best guy friend like that. I had one in high school, but sadly he passed away when we were in our early 20s.

    I've tried since then to find another "boy bestie". And oddly enough (or not), sex always gets in the way. I hate that.

    I'm glad that you have a good friend like this!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Manslate. Too perfect! I need a manslater. Sometimes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. that does sounds nice.what a great friendship!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I have a guy like that, whose name also starts with T. I call him my platonic boyfriend. I can usually tell if a guy is going to be a keeper if T likes him. He also manslates for me, but often I have to remind myself that he is just one man and doesn't understand them all. I loved this post!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Add me to the list of "manslate" fanboys! Love that! I love how you have this rapport with TNT. The only time I ever had anything similar was a great friend I had when I was 15 and lived in MS. He was my best friend's boyfriend, and there was a lot of tension between us, but it never materialized because I never would have betrayed my friend that way. I'm certain, though, if I had stayed in Mississippi, he and I would have been an item after they broke up.

    ReplyDelete
  10. 'Manslate' - I'll have to remember that.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I have many guy friends, most of which are ex boyfriends of some kind. It is always nice to have a mans point of view on things!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!