Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A Woman: Career + Motherhood

I've been trying to narrow down what I want to do, career-wise, ever since I gave birth to my first child.

Prior to her, I was a very dedicated technology expert who spent more than enough hours carrying around a pager or attached to a laptop (or more) for work. After she was placed into my arms, the struggle began.

Who am I?

What do I want to do.... other than stare at her sweet rosebud lips?

And thus, I've been feeling stagnant.

Which can only mean that I am ready for more.

I've been trying to "buy in" to a new career and a semi-new identity as a single mother. I'm not the career woman I once was. I must find balance. I must bring a new "me" to the office.

I came across the following video yesterday. It inspired me to look at things a little differently. It allowed me to recognize that I am not the only one who struggles with this.

This video reminded me that my opinion and background does matter. I need to speak up more. I need to sit at the table again.

I am reminded that I have a supportive partner who stands by my side (even from 200 miles away) cheering me on, as I do for him.

I was also gently nudged even more forward. I CAN make a life for me and my daughters. I am able to decide what fits... for me... for us.

Maybe it will inspire you too.



Sheryl Sandberg - Facebook COO explains why there are so few women leaders

5 comments:

  1. Wow, this was a REALLY good video. I absolutely loved it. Great inspiration for all of us to speak up, use our role in the workplace and at home to make a difference.

    ReplyDelete
  2. When women are 100 percent OK with having men stay at home and be the caregivers and be totally equal partners, and when women stop feeling "guilty" about leaving their kids to go to work (men don't), we will make it to the top.

    But, women and men are different, and we always will be. Freeing men and women from the roles society expects of us will make it easier.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You've been listed as a stylish blog at Just like you. It's because of your honesty and openness. If you stop over you'll also get to learn a little bit more about me.

    ReplyDelete
  4. It is a constant struggle for balance. As a single mom, I'm working harder than ever to make a future for the kids. Still, gotta work even harder to make sure they don't feel neglected.

    Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've never been a career-driven person. I'm still not. In fact, I realized the other day that I would cash it all in to be able to be at home with my girls again. I don't know if I'm just feeling restless with my life or what, but I would love to not have to get dressed for the office anymore, and just stay at home, and play and learn with my girls all day.

    Maybe it's just that I'm always wanting what I can't have, I dunno.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!