Thursday, March 24, 2011

Leave a Light On

When I was a teenager and I was feeling especially alone in the world, I would pull out a Duran Duran album, put needle to vinyl and pour all of myself into the music blaring into my ears from my father's giant headphones. I'm not sure if it was the otherworldly lyrics, the harmonies or the melodies but their music always swept me away from my worries.

I'd do the same if I had headaches. It's funny to think about but yes, instead of aspirin, I'd listen to Duran Duran. The music just.... made me happy.

So last night, when my man was doing himself more harm than good (in my opinion) while in his man cave, I felt sick to my stomach with worry. I know, I need to step back. And Twitter brought my answer with a much needed distraction.

I'd forgotten that director David Lynch and Duran Duran were putting on a live concert via youtube. It was being tweeted and retweeted to me by various fans and the band's own Twitter stream. I tuned in.

Again, their music transported me past my worries, allowed me to feel my emotion and soon I was dancing with my laptop.

Ok, so I can't help my man. But I can still appreciate a band that's brought me joy since I was 12 years old.

***

One such song I especially connected with is off their brand new album, All You Need is Now (great title and great new album). The song is called Leave a Light On and yeah, it fits. It helped me to remember what I should do... and how much it means.

(Unofficial but BEAUTIFUL video to go with the beautiful track)



"Leave A Light On"

So come the evening
I'm out on the dunes
Looking for a token, something to prove
All I remember is more than a flame
In my fantasy, fire

Whatever I've done to receive
Whatever I need to redeem
Whatever you say
Even if I wait a lifetime

I know, I swear
If you leave a light on, if you leave a light on for me
I'll come there
You can leave a light on for me

In comes the morning
I'm stood in my track
Looking at the reasons for me to head back
So unexpected, the kindness you've shown
That I will not forget it

Whatever I've done to receive
Whatever I need to redeem
Whatever you say
Even if I wait a lifetime

I know, I swear
If you leave a light on, if you leave a light on for me
I'll come there
You can leave a light on for me

You breathe the will into the weak
And coach the cage bird to fly free
You ease the lost cause out of me
With your sweet hand to bring me home
I'm not alone, oh, oh, oh

I know, I swear
If you leave a light on, if you leave a light on for me
I'll come there
You can leave a light on for me


***

Though we didn't talk much last night, and it may sound cheesy but yeah, that's exactly what I'm doing. It's all I CAN do.

I'm stepping away from the man cave, stepping back inside my home, and leaving a light on for him. Thankfully, he knows I'm not going away and I hope it gives him much needed strength.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!