Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Strength in the Stillness

Last week I enjoyed lunch with one of my best friends. She and I are at a similar stage in our "spiritual journeys" and discussed that we should consider writing a book together.

The next morning, after not putting much thought into it, I awoke to the book practically writing itself in my mind. I quickly dove out of bed and typed the free flow of information into an email to my friend. Right in the middle of the book writing, I heard another voice:

"And this message is for Gentleman Jack, tell him that he needs to...."

Duly noted. Then the book information kept flowing from my mind to my fingers rapidly typing on the keyboard.

Later, on the drive to work, I called my Gentleman and passed the message to him. I had to laugh because I know it sounds funny to say, "I have a message for you" and then proceed to tell him what a voice in my head said. Thankfully, he knows me. He trusts me. He has also told me more than once that I have some sort of "cosmic connection to the Universe." He trusted the message though he couldn't see it clearly.

On our evening phone call, he told me of all matter of things that transpired since receiving the message. All sorts of "coincidences" and "just happened to's".

"Stop thinking those things happened by chance," I told him.

He's almost there.

***

Truthfully, there is nothing special about this voice in my head. We all have it. It's that "still, small voice" that is mentioned in the Bible, A Course in Miracles and just about every spiritual or religious text that exists.

I've blogged previously about hearing it when I was nearly fired from my job... and when I was worried about Soldier's return from war... and more obviously a conversation between my ego and Spirit. I've hesitated calling it a voice because I'm sure it sounds a bit woo-woo to some. Now, eh... it is what it is. It is very clearly a voice.

I've heard this guiding voice on many other occasions in my life. I've even passed on messages to others; often times the message is, "I have a picture in my head of you with this book." Sometimes, the voice isn't in my head but in a song lyric. Or in a book. Or on a billboard. Or in a conversation with a friend. It is always there. I just don't always choose to hear it.

And other times, I will downright fight with it. You know how we'd rather be right than happy! I do know that when I listen, even if it's reluctantly, it has never steered me wrong.

***

I heard more news last night about a family member who is going through a difficult time. As is the norm in my family, the question seems to be, "What's T going to do about it?"

I have a love/hate relationship with being the perceived strong and balanced one.

Pfft. That's so not me. It's who I try to be, no doubt.

Then I have to remember, it is not ME with the answers. If it were ME, I'd be fighting or trying to kick some ass or hiding from the question altogether. It is not MY strength or MY voice or MY answer.

When the question comes to me to resolve, or when I feel as if something needs to be fixed, or when I witness the struggle in those I love, I have to know that they have the same access to the same voice.

"You just need to find your center again," my Gentleman reassured me on the phone last night, "You know you are the most helpful when you're helping yourself."

Yes. Exactly.

Peace.

Be still.

Find your answer.


"Conscience is that still, small voice that is sometimes too loud for comfort."
~ Bert Murray

"The human voice can never reach the distance that is covered by the still small voice of conscience."
~ Mahatma Gandhi

"...the LORD was not in the wind: and after the wind an earthquake; but the LORD was not in the earthquake; And after the earthquake a fire; but the LORD was not in the fire: and after the fire a still small voice."
~ I Kings 19: 11-12 (KJV)

"The still, small Voice for God is not drowned out by all the ego's raucous screams and senseless ravings to those who want to hear it. Perception is a choice and not a fact. ... For on the voice you choose to hear, and on the sights you choose to see, depends entirely your whole belief in what you are."
~A Course in Miracles

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!