Monday, May 28, 2012

What to say...

I've been in sort of a whirlwind since my last blog post, over 10 days ago. To be honest, my brain is so restful today that I couldn't even rehash all that I went through in details. It's been a nice, quiet weekend of just me and the dog.

I've done some yoga. I've cleaned the house. I've meditated. I've played outside with the dog. I visited a friend for dinner. I went out with another friend. I treated myself to a movie. I've slept in. I've ridden my bike. I've done laundry. It's been nice having a quiet, extended weekend. Especially since the next two weeks are a little busy. But I'll get to that in a moment.

Here's an update:

Work:

I declared I was leaving my job after being, basically, threatened. And lied to. And then, surprisingly, asked if there was anything they could do that could convince me to stay. If I know anything about me, it is this:

Once I make a decision, there's no turning back.

It may take me a while to get to that decision. I know that too. I've been complaining about my job for some time now. I take what happened as a true sign because it's what pushed me completely out of the door. Decision - MADE.

In the meanwhile, I've had interviews that seemed to go well. More people asking for help on the side. Another friend-of-a-friend who wants me to go into business with her. Lots of really great opportunities but nothing is sticking yet. I think it's a matter of moments away but I'm excited for a new career.

Gentleman Jack:

He was in town last weekend with his boys. We had a great time with the kids and enjoyed each other, as we do.

I've been so determined in the job search that I've not had much time to miss him, honestly. I feel a little chaotic and unfocused in other areas of my life because I'm so focused on this one thing. He's been very supportive and loving all while dealing with his own challenges.

I may have even been better at handling his challenges because I'm so focused on me. All I've done is give him empowering messages instead of trying to fix them myself. They seem to be working too.

Summer plans:

As I mentioned before, GJ and I will soon be headed off to Maine for an epic bloggy meetup with Canadian Bald Guy, Momma Sunshine and Jobo. It's coming up quick and I can. not. wait.

Epic Bloggy Meetup View


Before that date, however, the kids and I have a fabulous camping trip planned. Another single mom friend is joining us with her children and we've been crazy planning menus and daydreaming about new camping gear. We'll be off the grid for 5 days. So excited about it!

Texas' Blue Hole


Also coming up is our high school reunion that I've been planning for the past year. It is finally looming in the next month so I've been hastily working on last minute registrations and details. We always have a blast together so I'm looking forward to that.

Everyone needs an LBD for a reunion

The ex announced that he will be taking the kids for most of the month of August. I'm proud of him for taking them as long as the divorce dictates but it will be extremely strange for me to have that much time to myself. Not knowing where I will be career-wise stops me from making a plan to get out of town for more "me" time. Still... I have a feeling that will be good for me... even though I will miss my girls like crazy. They will enjoy being with their daddy in that time and being involved in the wedding to his "almost-wife". I know they're very excited.

Me:

In spite of the chaotic uncertainty, I've actually stayed pretty centered. GJ is worried that I shouldn't have told my job I'm leaving. He's afraid they'll replace me before I'm ready to go.

I don't know. I have a lot of faith that things are working out exactly as they're supposed to. I have zero idea what is going to happen next but I know it's good. What else do I need to know?

I've been also very surprised at the power of my voice. Trying to sell myself to prospective employers has been very interesting. After years of feeling rather valueless in my current job, it is a challenge to explain what I have to offer. But then I surprise myself at the things I've learned, not from my job, but on my own. Self-taught. Self-determined. Self-motivated. Self-valued.

I have a feeling that this is going to be quite a summer to remember. Not in terms of off-the-chart vacations or anything over the top.

I just feel like this is the summer that... I take my life back.

Thanks for joining along.

What are your summer plans?

Have you found it difficult to be career driven as a single parent?

Give me a time in your life when you felt you took your life back. I'd love the inspiration!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!