Thursday, October 4, 2012

Delayed Gratification



When we were little, my sister and I used to walk to the local convenience store to buy candy. We’d saved our allowance and filled bags with the sweet treats.

Oh how I loved the penny candies on the bottom row of the candy aisle. Do they even have penny candy anymore?!?

On the walk home, my sister would eat every piece of candy, including all of her gum. I would have one piece and then save the rest to enjoy over the week until we went back to the store.  Within the hour, my sister would be begging for my candy, upset that I still had mine… while all of hers was gone. 

I hated the fight with her but I loved that I could enjoy my candy, taking my time. 

I still do this. I will save the favorite part of my meal until last. I will wait to spoil myself until a weekend that I'm alone. I am in love with a man who lives out of state...

Wait...

Well, I guess I'm just that kind of person. Somehow, somewhere, I was born to delight in delayed gratification. 

***

My dream vacation...okay, one of them, is to travel to Italy. I finally traveled to Europe a few years ago for the first time and as I expected, I loved being there. Though I was able to visit friends in Germany, spend quality time in Amsterdam and see the amazing Dutch tulip festival, sadly, Italy didn't make the cut of things to do. 

Picture from here


My family has Italian heritage and I still have family there. That's the even sadder part. There really is no reason for me NOT to go.

Except, maybe there is.

Maybe I'm delaying the gratification there as well.

This past week, I began a savings account. With every paycheck, I am contributing $50 towards my vacation to Italy. The plan is not only to visit but to take my then teenaged daughters with me. 

We will explore the food, delight in the language, pick olives, stomp grapes, stare at art for hours, take in the Mediterranean air... TOGETHER. They are just as excited as I am.

Sounds like the perfect reason to wait a while, don't you think?

What about you?

What is your dream vacation?

Are you actively contributing to your dream?

Are you a gratification delayer like me? Or do you want it all and want it NOW?! (I have a little bit of that in me too. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving me some comment love!